Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

View on mixing wine with water?

(20 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Sat 12-Aug-17 22:03:12

Hi, what is your view on mixing wine with water? Do you see it as unsophisticated?

AssignedMentalAtBirth Sat 12-Aug-17 22:11:22

Why would you? I could see the point for 15 year olds over Sunday dinner

LottieDoubtie Sat 12-Aug-17 22:13:12

Unsophisticated? No.

Faintly disgusting/not very nice/odd yes.

OnlyInBerkshire Sat 12-Aug-17 22:15:46

If it's an average white, and I want to moderate my intake, I mix with soda to make a spritzer. Never with good wine, never with tap water, and rarely in company.

sparechange Sat 12-Aug-17 22:15:48

Context?

Watering down a nice glass of red by decanting your water glass into it at the table at a dinner party - rude

Wanting to make your white wine a spritzer on a hot day/ because you want to pace yourself - absolutely fine

AssignedMentalAtBirth Sat 12-Aug-17 22:53:18

Forgot about WW spitzers being a red wine drinker. But no to red

Margomyhero Tue 29-Aug-17 18:18:58

I would only ever consider turning a white wine into a spritzer if it was poor quality wine. However i only buy good wine.

So, it could be seen as rude if someone else had provided the wine. wine

Mammyloveswine Sat 30-Sep-17 13:19:09

What?? Why would you do this?? I don't even like a spritzer! Lol! Ordinary water added to wine?? I'd be horrified! If it's so you don't want to drink as much either make a spritzer or just sip on a small glass!

BertrandRussell Sat 30-Sep-17 13:21:48

Circumstances?

allegretto Sat 30-Sep-17 13:26:38

I do this sometimes if I fancy some red wine but don't want the alcohol.

Eolian Sat 30-Sep-17 13:28:00

Unsophisticated and a bit bleurgh.

BananasAreGood Sat 30-Sep-17 13:30:47

I find wine far too strong tasting, so I always water it down, I don't care what people think.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 30-Sep-17 13:31:33

It's OK if you're Jesus and you're at a wedding.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 30-Sep-17 13:33:07

I'd mix red or white with lemonade if I wanted to pace my drinking but mixing with water doesn't sound very nice.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 30-Sep-17 13:43:02

Isn't this quite normal in other countries, especially for younger people at family dinners?

The ancient greeks thought that drinking undiluted wine was the mark of a barbarian.

Hendersonsisnotrelish Sat 30-Sep-17 14:42:14

DH and his family are Italian and wind and water is very normal. He's been drinking red wine with water since he was kid. We generally don't dilute but red wine topped up with sparkling water is nice if wanting a glass but not necessarily to consume much alcohol

ClashCityRocker Sat 30-Sep-17 14:49:59

Meh. If that's what you fancy, go for it.

One of my friends likes adding blackcurrant cordial to baileys so it sets and goes like blancmange.

She's not making me drink it, so I don't care.

Not for me personally. I like the 'heaviness' of red wine so wouldn't want it watering down. If I want something lighter I'll have vodka and won't bother with wine.

confused123456 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:31:03

Water with wine, no never.
White or rosé, use lemonade or soda to make a spritzer.

Niamhisnotarealname Wed 11-Oct-17 21:32:01

my SIL loves red wine mixed with...........cloudy lemonade. Classy bird my SIL

omochie Mon 23-Oct-17 19:50:34

Water? Very strange!

I’d suggest OJ or soda/lemonade.

Each to their own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now