Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ungrateful gift recipients

(44 Posts)
Apfelbunny Thu 29-Dec-16 18:43:18

I'll spare the tedious details, but would appreciate advice on how to handle this.
We bought a relative and his wife a gift for their new baby for Christmas and also something fun for the couple - like they asked us to do and as we do annually.
After they leave, we are told by family we stayed with that the gift for the baby was unsuitable and they hadn't liked the fun gift and we're upset we hadn't put any thought into it - we had actually put a lot of thought and effort into the gifts but that's not the point, the relative we stayed with asked us what we had done to rectify the situation (as they were offended on the couple's behalf )we said we'd texted an apology, however that wasn't deemed good enough and we're basically expected to buy more appropriate gifts...

Now, maybe I'm in the wrong here, but if I get something I don't like/want/need I say thank you and just don't use it or give it to someone who does want it, I don't say anything to the person who gave it.

So, what do we do now? Apologise again, buy something else? Or am I being just as bad for getting offended by the gifts being badly received?

FiveMoreMinutesPlease Thu 29-Dec-16 18:51:19

I wouldn't think you even have to text an apology!!! They should be grateful you gave them something.
Did the couple say thank you to your face? Is the other relative stirring?

Crumbs1 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:53:44

The correct etiquette is the recipients say thank you with obvious pleasure at the time and follow this up with a hand written thank you card.

Hermanfromguesswho Thu 29-Dec-16 18:54:16

How could they be offended by a gift? Unless you bought them a sex toy or something completely inappropriate?

dementedpixie Thu 29-Dec-16 18:55:57

Wtf did you get them? Correct etiquette is to say thanks whether you like it or not

Couchpotato3 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:56:02

Family who passed on the message are clearly deranged, and if the couple are genuinely offended, then they are too, and I'd call a halt to the gift giving as of now. Bizarre behaviour all round. What are these people like?

DollyPlastic Thu 29-Dec-16 18:57:56

What the hell did you buy them?shock

Yoarchie Thu 29-Dec-16 19:00:17

Depends entirely on what you bought. Unless it was really dodgy then you should ignore them and probably not bother too much with them.

gamerchick Thu 29-Dec-16 19:00:17

Tell them to fuck off and never expect anything from you again.

Or something like that.

Meeep Thu 29-Dec-16 19:02:32

You'll have to think up something equivalent to what you gave them, so as not to out yourself, but so we can judge what is going on here.

Ilovecaindingle Thu 29-Dec-16 19:04:36

We need to know the gifts!!

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 29-Dec-16 19:06:35

Agree with Gamer, they are a pair of cheeky, entitled bastards and so is the family member, shame on them all. Wants,, demands and needs seem to be the norm nowadays rather than accepting presents with appreciation and saying a good old fashioned thank you.

gamerchick Thu 29-Dec-16 19:06:56

'I think it may be best if we don't exchange gifts in the future, for family harmony'. Do not buy more stuff, you're not going to be walked all over after that rude slap in the face, cheeky gits angry

ChocolateCakeandSprinkles Thu 29-Dec-16 19:07:40

I'd love to know what the gift is, but I would ignore it.

Good manners is to smile and say thank you. If you don't like it re-gift it or take it back if you can!

I wouldn't be apologising. Tell the other people to keep their nose out and learn some manners too! Talk about stirring!

toriap2 Thu 29-Dec-16 19:07:48

Was the baby's present a bottle of JD? Or 20 cigarettes? Seriously, they all sound like they have no manners.

TataEs Thu 29-Dec-16 19:07:50

unless u bought a chainsaw for the baby and a prositute for the couple i think they should be the ones apologising

NerrSnerr Thu 29-Dec-16 19:08:59

They do sound very ungrateful, unless you bought the baby something utterly unsuitable.

Apfelbunny Thu 29-Dec-16 19:09:59

We got them a stuffed bear from a craft fair (turns out it was second hand, if I had known it was second hand I wouldn't of given it for a baby, I thought it was hand made) and for them we got a novelty cardboard house to colour in be a useful we thought they'd enjoy it based on their perceived humour.

It was obvious from her face she didn't like the gifts but said thanks, then mentioned it to the people we're staying with who have kept going on about it.

We won't buy them anything next year. If it was down to me they wouldn't even get a card (which we had to write 2 of this year because the first one got intercepted and the wording was deemed wrong and we had to do another)

SVJAA Thu 29-Dec-16 19:10:31

I'm actually staggered at how rude they are. There have been so many threads since Christmas about not liking gifts, wanting more/something different. It's just fucking rude.
If someone buys you a gift, you smile and say thank you. If said gift is no use to you, or not to your taste, give it to charity or to someone who will get use out of it.
People being rude and ungrateful disgust me.

PuppyMonkey Thu 29-Dec-16 19:10:59

The relative was offended on behalf of the couple? grin

Come on OP what did you buy?

PuppyMonkey Thu 29-Dec-16 19:12:58

Cross posted - the novelty house sounds... Erm... Interesting.

Apfelbunny Thu 29-Dec-16 19:13:21

"Be a useful"? Stupid phone, meant to say "because"

Apfelbunny Thu 29-Dec-16 19:14:50

It was a cardboard castle. Gave one to my sister too and she loved it, spent all afternoon with her daughter and my 3yr old colouring it in

MsGameandWatch Thu 29-Dec-16 19:14:54

I'd think they were crap presents too to be honest but I would never say so, to you or any other family member.

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Thu 29-Dec-16 19:16:56

Do not buy them anything else.
I can't believe the person you are staying with has said all that.
Im guessing it's their parent.

Recify the situation by crossing them off your gift list.

It is unacceptable to behave like that.A gift given with love is not something you cop an attitude about.

Some people have got no manners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now