Talk

Advanced search

To tip or not to tip at the salon

(12 Posts)
Ginfevertree Sat 10-Sep-16 10:29:04

I'm very lucky in that I have many friends who are hairdressers so they cut my hair for good mates rates. I've started recently going to a salon to colour my hair. I did not give a tip but did notice that some of the more mature clientele did. Should i have tipped? Getting colour in your hair is quite pricey especially when you have to maintain this every 6-8 weeks. I'm interested to see what others think/do out there!

pattimayonnaise Sat 10-Sep-16 10:37:07

I always feel so awkward about this but generally yes I do, so if it was 85, I'd round it up to 90. My good friend is a hairdresser and rents a chair in the salon she works in. She can only get a pay rise if she ups her prices as the owner refuses to drop her percentage. She doesn't really want to do that as it may upset the clients - hair is expensive enough as it is!
So do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I can only get my hair done every few months unless it's t-section only, I just can't afford it!

Kel1234 Sat 01-Oct-16 14:56:56

I always tip when I get my hair or nails done. Similarly I always tip in a restaurant as well

Kanga59 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:22:27

Years ago I used to tip at the hairdressers, even when I was a student. Nowadays I no longer tip. It's so expensive, almost grabby so. I simply can't afford 10% on top of the £100 ish for colour and £50ish for cut. I think if they're making £150 for 2-3 hours work, then they can't be doing that badly that I need to supplement them with a tip aswell. And I feel that a £5/£10 tip would look like I wasn't happy (because it's a low percentage) so I just pretend there's no such nonsense as tipping at the hairdressers!

SheldonsSpot Mon 17-Oct-16 20:26:15

I've stopped tipping my hairdresser.

At £90 for about 2 hours work - even once her overheads are deducted - she's on a really good (better than me) hourly rate.

janethegirl2 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:30:09

No, I don't tip either. A bill of in excess of £100 for 2-3 hours work has plenty of profit margin in there.

QuiteLikely5 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:33:53

The above posts only count if the hairdresser is collecting the profits.

Occasionaly I do but mostly don't because it's prices enough in the first place

QuiteLikely5 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:34:14

pricey

2cats2many Mon 17-Oct-16 20:35:38

I always tip a fiver. My hairdresser is lovely.

Kanga59 Mon 17-Oct-16 20:46:17

If the hairdresser isn't getting a decent enough cut of the profits, then her employer needs to pay a better wage for job done. Not see the customer as responsible for topping up a poor wage so that the salon owner can laugh all the way to the bank.

AgainPlease Mon 17-Oct-16 20:49:23

To get my hair done every six weeks is £150 which is expensive enough as it is so I tend to add a further £10-15 every 3rd or 4th visit.

Puffedsleevedress Fri 02-Dec-16 22:59:24

There are some really expensive hairdressers out there by the sounds of things. I pay £50 for my cut and colour and always tip £5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now