What is the etiquette surrounding passed on baby clothes?

(6 Posts)
WindInThePussyWillows Sat 03-Sep-16 13:25:35

I was handed down a lot of baby clothes on the arrival of my twins 4 months ago, I am now unsure what the done thing is regarding what I do with it once the twins have outgrown it.
I have a friend due a baby boy next month so was planning on passing it down to her but I wasn't sure if that's ok?
Most of it came from SIL and I said at the time I'd keep it nice for her to have back for her next one and she said no way! No more!

I was thinking of texting her first and seeing if she would like any of it back, but I didn't want to seem ungrateful or rude to try and get rid of it now. We have used most of it but it doesn't all fit anymore and I need the room.

VioletBam Sat 03-Sep-16 13:26:36

I think you've answered your own question OP! :D

SIL said no way.

Give it to your mate.

BonjourMinou Sat 03-Sep-16 13:27:43

I would text her and check if she would like it back or if she minds them being passed on. Explain you don't have space to store. She won't mind! I gave some passed on stuff to charity after checking with the person who gave them to me first.

Hopelass Sat 03-Sep-16 13:28:14

I would do as you thought and just ask SIL if she wants any of it back or if she's happy for you to pass it on. I don't think you'd come across as ungrateful at all particularly if you make a point of saying thank you and that you did use most of it but you need the space.

allthecarbs Sat 03-Sep-16 13:28:27

I give a lot of stuff out and do prefer it when someone asks me if they can move it on. Not the end of the world if they don't though

Kel1234 Sat 01-Oct-16 15:00:34

I'm of the opinion that once someone gives you something, it then becomes yours to do with what you see fit.
As you say, you no longer have a use for it, and need the room. I would double check with sil that she definitely does not want it back, and if she says no, ask if she would mind you passing them onto somebody else, who could make use of them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now