Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect an apology

(13 Posts)
Notsogrimupnorth Sun 27-Mar-16 20:44:11

Before I start this thread, I completely understand that there are much bigger things to get het up about but this has really annoyed me: I took my DS to the park yesterday and parked in a decent sized space. The woman next to me opened her door and bashed into mine. When I very politely pointed out to her that she had just hit my door, she said "have I done any damage?" Which I replied "well I'm not sure, I don't think so" and she said "So what's the problem then?" And flounced off. Call me old-fashioned but I was brought up to apologise to somebody if I've done something like that and I got really annoyed by her sheer arrogance.

pippistrelle Mon 28-Mar-16 06:51:19

She was rude (and I hope you took a note of her number plate just in case) but I think people might be reluctant to apologise for anything to do with a car in case that's interpreted as an admission of liability.

And I know you acknowledge this, but it does sound like a very minor skirmish in the overall scheme of things. I'd guess you're probably at the 'shrug and move on' stage by now.

WellErrr Mon 28-Mar-16 07:00:59

We have an Etiquette topic!? shock

pippistrelle Mon 28-Mar-16 07:37:27

I know! It was news to me too.

Notsogrimupnorth Mon 28-Mar-16 07:38:12

It was really minor but I'm just getting a little fed up of the sort of people who think they can just bulldoze through life with the arrogance or obliviousness to give anybody else a second thought.

Notsogrimupnorth Mon 28-Mar-16 07:38:41

That was supposed to say not to give.

Notsogrimupnorth Mon 28-Mar-16 07:51:20

Sorry to continue the rant but sometimes it's the little things like saying thank you and somebody up in store for you, excuse me before you reach across somebody in the supermarket and yes, sorry when you do something not so great to somebody else that makes the world a nicer place to live in. Are people just lacking in social skills or do you think we are becoming more selfish as a society?

Notsogrimupnorth Mon 28-Mar-16 07:52:56

Thank you, when someone opens a door for you! Weird predictive text! Should have checked before posting - sorry

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Mon 28-Mar-16 07:57:38

Agree OP, there is a total lack of manners around these days.

The one that annoys me the most is when people don't give way to you when you both need to walk through the same small gal or door. If I'm there second, I stand back and wave them through. If I'm there first and its someone who needs to get through more than I do or who I can help (e.g woman with pram, elderly person or whatever) I hold the door/stand back and wave them through.

If I'm there first and am walking through, other people just seem to squeeze in there with me. Wtf? Just hang back a second will you?

Oh and then there are the ones who squeeze into the gap I was trying to walk through or while I was waiting to give way to them, and then they stop there and are oblivious to my existence! envy

Notsogrimupnorth Mon 28-Mar-16 08:00:44

Tell me about it! It's the same when driving, I had right of way yesterday but let to cast through, one third one forced his way through I said something like " oh come on! " and was really shocked when a man ( I would say in his 70s ) replied with "fuck off you silly cow!" Seriously!

pippistrelle Mon 28-Mar-16 08:01:15

You're on a roll, OP.

I don't really think people, as a whole, are getting more selfish or ruder. I might be though, as I unleash my inner passive aggressive in such circumstances, by saying 'you're welcome' after the pause in which they should have said thank you.

Notsogrimupnorth Mon 28-Mar-16 08:01:21

Predictive text again - two cars!!

Notsogrimupnorth Mon 28-Mar-16 08:03:29

Gosh I do that all of the time! Don't mean to be passive aggressive thoughshock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now