Talk

Advanced search

Instant coffee - social suicide?

(131 Posts)
MrsFogi Mon 16-Nov-15 22:45:35

Over a number of months I've seen many threads expressing horror at the idea of drinking or serving instant coffee. So….I've become a bit paranoid. So mners - if I have a mum in for a cup of tea/coffee when they pick up their dc from my house am I committing social harakiri serving up instant coffee if they opt for that instead of tea? If I want to have or keep friends should I be brewing/grinding/working out how to use the coffee machine etc with a flourish? confused

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Nov-15 22:50:26

Only social suicide on MN. grin

In my RL instant is fine, which is great.

Behooven Mon 16-Nov-15 22:51:35

<sips Alta Rica > <watches>

Jftbo74 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:56:43

Can't drink instant coffee. I would bring my own thermos flask of coffee to drink.

All you need is a packet of ground coffee (strength 3 or 4) and a cafetiere. Maybe £10 in total.

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Nov-15 22:58:18

You could always have a cup of tea Jftbo74. Coffee from a flask tastes awful. sad

Snoopadoop Mon 16-Nov-15 22:59:51

Can't drink instant coffee. I would bring my own thermos flask of coffee to drink.

Seriously? What? So you offend your host instead by whipping out a thermos. I like coffee, I drink a lot of coffee, if people offer me instant I drink instant, if people offer me a cafetière, a dolce gusto pod, a lovingly handmade cappuccino... I drink it, why? Because I was brought up not to an arse!

Snoopadoop Mon 16-Nov-15 23:01:10

OP I forgot to add, if anyone judges you for serving them instant then they don't deserve your hospitality.

GrabbyShitnuggets Mon 16-Nov-15 23:01:19

Love these status anxiety threads grin

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Nov-15 23:02:12

You don't have to drink hot beverages when you visit people I very often don't want one at all. I just want to see my friend.

Hatethis22 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:02:37

It would be very rude of them to say anything.

ouryve Mon 16-Nov-15 23:03:23

I used to be fine with decent instant, but these days, I'd been the one committing social suicide by drinking it, as it does horrible things to my guts.

Hatethis22 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:04:50

The only people I know who drink instant through choice are my parents. I buy it in when they come to visit and send the jar home with them!

Jftbo74 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:05:44

Don't drink tea. I have a very close and relaxed friendship group, they wouldn't blink if I bought a flask to their house. We would probably have a good laugh about it.

milkysmum Mon 16-Nov-15 23:06:41

Instant is fine and if people judge you on this they are not worth having as friends. Yes they prefer fresh coffee but very rude to look down on someone just because they have a jar instead!!

Hatethis22 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:06:33

But now it makes me think of Jarvis on that Sainsbury's ad. So I've definitely warmed to it wink

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Nov-15 23:07:36

I thought you would probably say you didn't drink tea Jftbo74. grin

Taking a flask is bizarre if you are visiting friends. I take cake.

BondJayneBond Mon 16-Nov-15 23:09:21

The only people I know in RL who routinely use anything other than instant coffee are PILs. And they are far too polite to make anything other than a positive comment on the type of coffee they get served when visiting other people, regardless of what coffee they're served with.

I think it would be extremely rude to turn up to someone else's house with your own coffee in a thermos.

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Nov-15 23:10:42

Would you have to share your flask coffee? or so you just pour it into the little cup on the top and keep it for yourself? Or ask for a cup and saucer? Sounds tricky.

eddiemairswife Mon 16-Nov-15 23:10:44

I happily drink instant coffee, but I want my tea in a pot made with tea-leaves not a teabag. Hence I rarely have tea outside my home.

wickedlazy Mon 16-Nov-15 23:11:18

I can't afford anything but instant (and cheap instant at that). If anyone made a scathing comment, I would consider them to be lacking in manners, and if they were invited back, they wouldn't be offered a second cup to sneer at.

wickedlazy Mon 16-Nov-15 23:15:14

I don't think it would be rude to turn up with your own thermos of coffee, as long as you have enough to offer all present a cup. Which, if it's just you and a mate, sounds grand. Oh and as long as you explain you just really love a particular brand or whatever, that you know not many people would be likely to have in. Although if this is a regular thing I'd imagine friends would be used to it by now. smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Nov-15 23:17:15

When people are picky about food and drink it's just easier to go out I think.

Generation1979 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:20:20

So what's the best instant coffee that's cheap and cheerful?

dun1urkin Mon 16-Nov-15 23:23:29

I drink cold brew at home coz I'm too lazy to clean the stovetop
Cheap n cheerful - kenco in the blue jar - at work and for home when I've been too lazy to make cold brew.
I didn't know it was a crime to serve instant until I found out on MN either

Sparklingbrook Mon 16-Nov-15 23:26:32

I drink Millicano. I like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now