Talk

Advanced search

Child's Halloween Party Invite, what's the etiquette??

(8 Posts)
kiwishev Mon 19-Oct-15 17:30:35

My 5YO has been invited to a classmates Halloween party. He has never been to one before, and I was wondering what the etiquette is?? We never 'did' Halloween when I was growing up in NZ.
It's not a birthday party, so I am assuming you don't take a gift.
If it was an adult party I would bring some wine,.
I am not sure about food, would it be rude to turn up with food? Would that suggest you didn't think they would provide enough food?
Help!

BearFeet Mon 19-Oct-15 18:07:22

Mine have never been to one but I would presume it's fine to not take a present.
What you could do though is buy something like a toffee apple for the child who's party it is maybe.

jelliebelly Mon 19-Oct-15 18:14:20

Dd(6) got invited to one today - the thought didn't even cross my mind! No present required - if parents staying then maybe a bottle of wine if you'd rather not go empty handed?

whatsagoodusername Mon 19-Oct-15 18:18:16

I would not expect presents at a child's Halloween party, or any sort of gift on arrival like wine.

Maybe offer to bring something when you RSVP if you're uncomfortable sending DS empty-handed?

R0nJ0n Mon 19-Oct-15 18:20:30

DD usually goes to one at her friends house, and I normally make some kind of spooky shaped cookies or buy cup cakes with something like jelly spiders on the top to take, but I don't think it's considered bad form to turn up empty handed.

Hotbot Mon 19-Oct-15 18:50:01

I'm holding one, and I am not expecting anything ????????

Hotbot Mon 19-Oct-15 18:50:40

Oh not sure why my ghost emojis didnt work.

kiwishev Mon 19-Oct-15 18:56:12

Thanks everyone! Didn't want to make a social faux pas, especially as he only started school in September ;-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: