Talk

Advanced search

Wedding - can guest match bridesmaid and page boy?

(9 Posts)
CulturalBear Tue 05-May-15 15:49:23

In a dilemma. My sister's getting married soon. I'm one of 5 bridesmaids, my son is a page boy. His cravat will match the ushers and the bridesmaid dress (an auberginey colour).

My other half (we've been together five years and is father of page boy) is not a part of the wedding party. Would it be okay for him to nod towards the bridal party colour in shirt, tie or a combination?

Obviously he's not meant to be centre of attention (and wouldn't want to be), nor is it any concern of my sister whether or not he complements my son and I, but given that my son is likely to attract a bit of photographic attention, and will need to spend a fair chunk of the day with his dad, I thought it would be nice to match a bit (but not as though he looks like he's trying to be part of the wedding party).

Any thoughts? I wanted to buy him a nice shirt to thank him for being so supportive, but don't want it to backfire and cause an incident...

MythicalKings Tue 05-May-15 15:54:01

I'd say not - he isn't part of the wedding party and it may look like he's trying to pretend he is.

AuntieStella Tue 05-May-15 15:59:40

Is there much aubergine green in the shops?

I think you might be better looking for a green/patterned tie of a different green that tones with, but does not fight, the aubergine. As it's not a cravat and not matchy, then it won't look like muscling in.

And you could get him a totally different item as a thank you.

<idly wonders if aubergine shaped cuff links exist>

CulturalBear Tue 05-May-15 16:23:59

Good thinking - I meant the plummy aubergine colour rather than the green, and was thinking of a very different shade as a shirt. I've seen one in his favourite (v expensive) brand that is a lighter shade and has white stripes so is a nod to rather than a match match.

The upfront 'thank you' is also intended as a sweetener - he has social anxiety and hates big events so a little something in advance may fluff up his (equally toddler-sized) ego.

Blooming weddings are a minefield!

AuntieStella Tue 05-May-15 18:28:30

Oh gosh!

I muddled up aubergines and avocados! blush

So sorry.

tabithaa Wed 17-May-17 07:51:41

My brother in law got a cravat to match bridesmaids dresses at my wedding and wasn't apart of bridal party.

Something like that wouldn't bother me.

tabithaa Wed 17-May-17 07:59:59

Just noticed date blushbrew

kel1493 Wed 17-May-17 08:00:14

My fil insisted on wearing a red tie to our wedding (my dad, my husband, his best man and my brother who was in the wedding party) all wore red ties. Fil took it upon himself to also wear one which annoyed me a bit, but it was a different shade of red slightly, so he didn't exactly match the wedding party.
I get what you mean about wanting them to match. So perhaps a slightly different shade?

kel1493 Wed 17-May-17 08:00:53

Oh god, me too.. Sorry all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now