Talk

Advanced search

Taxi etiquette

(16 Posts)
xalyssx Tue 09-Dec-14 10:33:58

What is current taxi etiquette please? Where is it best for me to sit, ie next to the driver or in the back? Do I tip? If so, how much? Many thanks.

AMerryScot Tue 09-Dec-14 10:46:20

In the back!!

round up to the nearest pound.

TheCowThatLaughs Tue 09-Dec-14 11:06:10

Definitely in the back
Tip depends on how pissed you are ime

TrendStopper Tue 09-Dec-14 14:02:57

If I am by myself I sit in the front, if I am with others I sit in the back with them. I don't tip.

I didn't know there was a right was to take a taxi.

Kikiw123 Thu 11-Dec-14 00:34:59

I feel weird getting in the front - like over familiar. In the back I'm thinking the drivers thinking- does she think she's the queen?
Tip - always usually up to the nearest pound plus a pound.

Fanfeckintastic Thu 11-Dec-14 00:37:59

My dad's a taxi driver and he told me always sit in the back, the two or three times I didn't as a drunk teen, I was propositioned sad
apparently it's a "thing"

EatShitDerek Thu 11-Dec-14 00:40:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsVanRein Thu 11-Dec-14 00:55:20

I usually always sit in the front if I'm alone - maybe it's just me but I think if you are in the front and anything to put your personal safety at risk did happen then you've access to controls such as central locking etc.

I tip usually 10% ish.

dustarr73 Sun 24-May-15 19:04:52

If I'm alone I sit in the front.I tip if they help carry my bags or if they are nice

JacobWrestling Wed 03-Jun-15 10:46:11

Sit in the back.

I tip in London black cabs by rounding up to the nearest five - but that's because without fail, they are always so brilliant about picking me up as a lone female quickly, and waiting until they've seen me get safely into the house before driving off.

happygirl87 Wed 03-Jun-15 10:47:50

Sitting in the back is safer. For a fare less than £10 I round up, after that 10% for a good job.

iwantgin Thu 09-Jul-15 07:15:02

I wondered about where to sit too.

If I am alone I do tend to sit in the front.

Opinion on this thread seems to be divided.

Tip: I round up to nearest £1. My journeys don't ever cost more than £10 anyway.

Piratespoo Thu 09-Jul-15 07:23:25

I got a taxi, not london cab, just regular taxi car from the rank, the other day and I got in the back. Driver was a bit miserable but I didn't want to talk anyway. When we stopped and I paid, he then got out and walked round to me door to let me out, COS I WAS LOCKED IN With child locks presumably!!! Freaked me right out! Is that usual?!

FrankietheSquealer Thu 09-Jul-15 07:25:34

you must always ask him how long he is working for and call him 'Drives'

( according to my husband )

FrankietheSquealer Thu 09-Jul-15 07:26:42

oh and say ( upon exiting) 'Go safe'
A phrase that is
a) never said in ANY other situation
b) grammatically shit

I reckon it the bourgeois guilt of employing another human that makes him does it

FrankietheSquealer Thu 09-Jul-15 07:27:17

i have never EVER seen a taxi driver I would want to proposition

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now