Talk

Advanced search

What time can you legally make construction noise?

(4 Posts)
chattychattyboomba Fri 07-Mar-14 18:59:13

Our neighbour has been digging her basement for 6 months now. We live in a terraced house, fairly busy road, no off street parking. She has had her skip in front of our house for 6 months. This was a minor irritant to start with but try having to park 2 blocks away with groceries, a toddler, a buggy and add heavily pregnant to that....it's now really irking me.
The skip gets collected roughly every 2 days at 6am which causes a huge amount of noise and goes on for about 20 minutes (collecting old, replacing new). It sounds like a garbage truck on steroids with chains dragging and clanging and means that even on weekend we get woken up to this noise.
Not only that her builders start at between 7am and 8am every day except Sunday. They seem to be using some heavy duty drill thing it sounds like they are about to burst through our wall!
At first I was happy not to make an issue of it as I would never want to hinder someone's renovations, but I'm now getting so fed up with the noise. If I have friends over or a play date for DD you can't hear yourself thinking.

Just wondering if anyone knows, are there restrictions as to when noise can be made in a residential area?

Lottiedoubtie Fri 07-Mar-14 19:00:45

I think between 7am-11pm it's fair game, sorry. Good news is, if they've been at it so long, it must be nearly done?

chattychattyboomba Fri 07-Mar-14 19:09:08

Waaaaah! confused
Fair game? That seems crazy!
You would think they'd be nearly finished but I took a peak in and they have only just started digging the back part. GAH!

chattychattyboomba Fri 07-Mar-14 19:33:38

F.y.i. Looked on our local borough website. Noise for construction is restricted to 8am-6pm mon-fri, 8am-1pm Saturday.
That's that then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now