Talk

Advanced search

Party buffet - 2 questions

(3 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Wed 05-Mar-14 16:03:51

I am planning a birthday party at a gastro pub, for which there'll be a buffet. I have called it a 'light buffet' on the invitations, which I hope implies there'll be food but don't come expecting a huge meal!

I haven't done this before and have two questions:

1. What proportion of guests should I cater for? eg. if 40 are coming, do I tell the pub it's 40 or will there be way too much food? The pub's charging me per head. Is there a rule of thumb for catering for a proportion of expected numbers - especially if you've described the buffet as 'light'?

2. If there are left overs, what's the best thing to do with them? It'd be a pity to let the pub just throw them away so should I supply take-away boxes and paper bags, and invite guests to make themselves a doggy bag towards the end of the evening? Or if that sounds too chaotic, should I just ask the pub to box stuff up and I will hand it out to anyone who wants it (and take home the rest myself).

I'm hoping this doesn't sound really 'off' - just would rather not see food wasted, particularly when I am paying quite a lot of money for it!

BackforGood Wed 05-Mar-14 18:23:45

I think you'll have to cater for the full number that you invite - it would be embarrassing when you ran out of plates grin
If you are only asking the pub / paying for a 'light supper' I doubt very much if there will be leftovers to worry about.

MichaelFinnigan Wed 05-Mar-14 18:31:37

I'd cater for 40 and the leftovers will probably be dried out and in a state of disarray by the end and unappetising

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now