Talk

Advanced search

Tipping....

(11 Posts)
lchats Sat 22-Feb-14 19:39:42

Always struggle with this....who do people still 'tip' these days (of course assuming they give good service that is) so;

Waitors/waitresses - yes
Taxi drivers - yes
Hairdressers?
Delivery drivers?

What's polite/appropriate/expected?

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Feb-14 19:41:42

Waitors/waitresses - yes yes
Taxi drivers - yes let them keep the change rather than giving an actual tip
Hairdressers? a couple of quid
Delivery drivers? no

lchats Sat 22-Feb-14 19:45:42

Should say by delivery driver I meant take-aways - sitting here waiting for my Thai food thinking do I say keep the change?

rookiemater Sat 22-Feb-14 19:49:52

Ok so here's what I do :

Waiters/waitresses - yes - 10% - apparently this has gone up according to mumsnet threads recently but 10% seems fair to me
Taxi drivers - yes - I round up to the nearest pound
Hairdressers? - yes, depends on how long I have been there and what I have had done, don't tip 10% as that would make regular visits even more expensive, but say �2 for cut and �5 for cut and colour

Delivery drivers? - Depends on the type of delivery , no for supermarket deliveries and takeaways as there is already a delivery cost included

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Feb-14 19:50:04

if its only a small amount then I would probably just tell them to keep the change

Chopchopbusybusy Sat 22-Feb-14 19:56:24

Waiters. Yes 10% unless service is very bad. Maybe more if very good.
Taxi drivers - sometimes. I don't take taxis very much these days. I think London hackney drivers expect a tip but mini cab drivers don't really.
Hairdressers - I tip the mobile hairdresser who does my DDs hair but not my hairdresser as he is ££££s
Takeaway delivery drivers - I rarely have them but might give £1 or so.

lchats Sat 22-Feb-14 20:04:50

interesting... What about car washing? (realise I'm coming across as pretty middle class and even more lazy) smile

caroldecker Sat 22-Feb-14 20:07:00

takeaway depends on if you use them often - if so tip, they do remember and your food is warm and safe

redbinneo Sat 22-Feb-14 20:09:14

What chopchop said. Car washers 10%ish.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 22-Feb-14 20:13:36

no I dont tip car washers

Arkina Sat 01-Mar-14 19:38:42

I usually let the takeaway driver keep the change.

Dont tip anyone else though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now