Talk

Advanced search

Present buying etiquette now we have a baby

(6 Posts)
Twinkletron Thu 26-Dec-13 10:41:24

I have one sibling, my DB who is married to an older women (only including that incase it has some relevance? He's 31, she's 45 so yes, not massive!) we always used to exchange gifts at Christmas/birthday and I would spend £20-30 per person, the same as we spend on DBIL etc. last year she informed us (via my DM) that we will not be doing birthday presents any more and have a £10 limit per person at Christmas!!! TBH I felt a little sad by this. If it was a money issue then I would understand but they she is minted!! They have 3 brand new cars, horses, million pound house etc etc and I know they are not in money difficulty as she plans to take early retirement. They spend a fortune on her kids and her grandson.

This year we stuck to the rules and spent £10 person (DB, DSIL and her 20yo daughter) I was really impressed with what I had managed to buy with £10 smile
In return we got a cheap (and I mean cheap) bottle of wine between the 2 of us and my new baby got a pair of booties.

I just feel slightly gutted that the Christmas birthday spirit has been lost between me and my DB because of my SIL. hmm

I know I'm being mad, it just saddens me after spending Christmas at my IL where all the siblings and step siblings buy nice presents and make an effort

Do the present buying rules change now that we have a child?? (Even though I have always bought her daughter one?)

Rachelx92 Thu 26-Dec-13 16:03:14

Maybe she's aware not everyone else has lots of money so is trying to help others out with a budget? If you can afford more just mention it for next year

puntasticusername Wed 26-Mar-14 23:35:13

I don't think you're being mad at all. Buy whatever you want, why does SIL get to dictate what happens between you and your DB and other members of YOUR family...?

Scornedwoman67 Thu 27-Mar-14 22:30:47

I agree...tell her you get great pleasure from exchanging gifts and that you don't want to be limited to £10. Or just tell your brother!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 27-Mar-14 22:33:34

Buy her a gift for £10, but don't think twice about spending more on your DB if you choose to and are able to do so.

She sounds like a right cheeky mare.

eightandthreequarters Thu 27-Mar-14 22:38:38

Your SIL does not make the rules. You may give whatever you like to whomever you like. Do not stick to the £10 rule. Tell them in advance if you like, or just be extra generous and make her look like a cheap bastard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now