Talk

Advanced search

Birthday gift for someone you've recently started dating

(11 Posts)
NellyNoKnicks Fri 04-May-12 11:59:30

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can help?

I've recently started dating someone (about a month) whose birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. What kind of gift would you suggest/what would you consider appropriate for such a short 'relationship'? <clueless>

GinPalace Fri 04-May-12 15:52:28

I would get the sort of thing I would get for a friend. Something like a book I know they'll like or meal out to fave restaurant depending on budget. Something that doesn't shout 'other half' but does show you appreciate they were born. grin

O2BNormal Fri 04-May-12 15:56:50

Something edible or drinkable. Beer if you know they've a favourite

Isabelle97 Fri 04-May-12 16:00:22

if you know the person well then get them something they are in to just like you would for your mate xx

DaisyMaisyJessicaEmily Fri 04-May-12 16:01:42

My now DP had his birthday about 8 weeks in. I got a card and a bottle of JD.

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Fri 04-May-12 16:08:59

Definately friend like, I think I bought now DH a DVD!

NellyNoKnicks Fri 04-May-12 16:51:14

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, kind of what I had in mind already smile I just wasn't sure.

QuacksForDoughnuts Sun 06-May-12 21:54:32

Luckily I started dating OH just after his birthday so didn't have this issue. wink But our first Valentines day was a couple of weeks into the relationship and for that I gave him a packet of multicoloured hair ties, small and not very expensive but something he needed because he'd been growing his hair and it was at a length where it needed tying back at times. (Because we both had plans for the day that preexisted the relationship and lived in different cities I had to factor in being able to post the present!) So basically, keep an ear out for what your new partner wants/needs that is within your budget, it'll show that you've thought about them rather than getting something generic...

NellyNoKnicks Mon 14-May-12 16:00:49

Sorry, only just realised that there was another response to my question, thank you. smile

Joiningthegang Fri 25-May-12 18:35:59

I suppose it depends if you think he's a keeper!

Mummy2FE Sun 10-Jun-12 11:17:04

My partner at the time had a birthday 6 weeks into our relationship- a long distance thing.

I bought him a bottle of decent vodka (which was his tipple) and a card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now