Talk

Advanced search

Husband kicked in the back by wedding party - do I complain?

(71 Posts)
marykat2004 Sun 25-Sep-11 08:25:49

Hi, I'm just throwing this out there to see what anyone else might do. I am very angry but not sure if there is anything to be achieved by writing a letter of complaint.

Yesterday my family and I visited a stately home and gardens. The grounds and buildings are open to the general public. We paid to get in as visiting members of the public.

My husband has health problems, recently lost his father and was feeling tired. While I took our daughter to see the farm and maze, my husband had a rest on the grounds near some old buildings in a sort of villagey part of the grounds. While he was resting, lying down on a blanket, a wedding party turned up. Rather than asking my husband to move, someone kicked him in the back.

I find this behaviour outrageous. If you want a member of the public to move so you can do your wedding photos, then surely you cam ask them to move, rather than kicking them.

I would like to make it clear to the people who book weddings that since the area is open to the public, wedding parties should respect the public. I think the people that book weddings should be aware of this.

I tried to complain to someone yesterday but kept getting shoved from one catering staff to another and finally gave up, taking the name and phone number of the person who books weddings.

So, should I write a letter to male this known, or just forget about it?

Thanks for any input.

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 25-Sep-11 08:28:21

I'd have kicked up a serious stink, that's assault shock

HoneyPablo Sun 25-Sep-11 08:31:48

Did they, maybe, think he was a tramp?
Or did they, maybe, ask him to move and he didn't hear because he was asleep?

I am wondering how you can kicked in the back when you are lying down.

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 25-Sep-11 08:33:16

So it's ok to kick a tramp? Or someone who hasn't heard you? WTF

Grumpla Sun 25-Sep-11 08:34:02

I'd call the police on the non-emergency number and report them for assault. I'd also DEMAND the contact details for the manager and send them an extremely strongly worded letter of complaint. Recorded delivery so they can't pretend it didn't get there.

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Sep-11 08:35:41

HP I guess he way lying on his side.
But yes, if he had been a tramp that would have been no better - but less likely to be reported I assume angry

marykat2004 Sun 25-Sep-11 08:36:49

I asked him if he was actually asleep and he said he wasn't. He was aware that people were moving around him and that the area was getting busy. But still, an 'excuse me, could you move please?' would have been more appropriate.

And yes he has a beard but, that is no excuse to kick someone. One has to pay to even get on the grounds of this place, so no way could a tramp get in there. And he was on a picnic blanket, not just lying on the ground.

HoneyPablo Sun 25-Sep-11 08:37:14

I never said that.
I am wondering why the husband didn't deal with it at the time and why he needs his wife to fight his battles for him.
Also, the manager is not accountable for the behaviour of the guests.

marykat2004 Sun 25-Sep-11 08:37:16

yes he was lying on his side. That's why he didn't see the person.

marykat2004 Sun 25-Sep-11 08:38:31

@honeypablo, I know the manager of the park is not responsible. I spoke with him. He said to contact the people who book weddings.

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Sep-11 08:39:03

Someone decided it was on to kick a man in the back. The residential and employment status of the man who was kicked is irrelevant. The only mitigating circumstance would arise if he was well known in politics. That I could understand.

notsofastmrbond Sun 25-Sep-11 08:39:24

Maybe his wife is seeking advice because her husband has health problems and is recently bereaved honeypablo?

40notTrendy Sun 25-Sep-11 08:40:47

Would second contacting the police. How awful sad

HoneyPablo Sun 25-Sep-11 08:42:08

So he has a beard. I don't condone violence at all, but maybe he was spoiling the photos?
Did they not say anything at all as they kicked your husband? I find that a bit odd.
Maybe it was an accident then.

notsofastmrbond Sun 25-Sep-11 08:44:18

My Dad has a beard. He's in my wedding photos. They're not spoiled.

HoneyPablo Sun 25-Sep-11 08:45:50

But was he lying down on his side on a picnic blanket?

marykat2004 Sun 25-Sep-11 08:46:15

@stalthpolarbear, ha ha yes if he were a politician I can see that.

It's hard to say exactly as I wasn't there to see it. But if they thought this person was a tramp, they could very well have kicked him, because a bum won't stick up for himself and won't have a Rottweiler for a wife.

notsofastmrbond Sun 25-Sep-11 08:48:18

You seem determined to blame the victim of this unprovoked assault for being attacked honeypablo. Why?

It's not illegal to have a beard and lie on a picnic blanket. It IS illegal to assault someone. WHy are you trying to think of reasons to minimise what the attacker did?

Hulababy Sun 25-Sep-11 08:50:45

HoneyPablo - your posts astound me. How can you possible think there is anything at all that could condone an assault on a man? I am not sure if this is what you are doing intentionally but your posts on here do come across as if you are looking for a way to justify their actions.

I would complaina nd complain until you get an answer. Appalling behaviour.

TheBolter Sun 25-Sep-11 08:54:49

Were you part of the wedding party HoneyPablo?

I'm quite shocked by this!

ColdSancerre Sun 25-Sep-11 08:55:25

HoneyPablo you are being very weird.

OP I also think you should contact the police about it. It's assault.

marykat2004 Sun 25-Sep-11 08:56:27

That is what mumsnet is for, isn't it? Don't most discussions turn into a debate of sorts? Maybe HoneyPablo can't believe this would actually the happen. I don't know. But it's an interesting debate.

I'm at the moment going to email a complaint. I've also found the couple's facebook pages but I don't think I'm that mean... or should I send them a message directly?

I could have marched right into their banquet hall and started shouting by the way. Or even just spoken calmly but loudly to them. But I guess I didn't want to ruin some strangers wedding day, even if they ruined my day.

ginmakesitallok Sun 25-Sep-11 08:57:41

And yes he has a beard but, that is no excuse to kick someone - one of hte best lines I've ever read on MN grin

TheBolter Sun 25-Sep-11 08:58:05

Would it be worth calling the police? I don;t mean to sound alarmist but the venue would be forced to take some action.

This kind of behaviour is NOT OK.

chimchar Sun 25-Sep-11 08:58:33

Marykat, that's really horrible. I hope your dh is ok.

Tbh, I don't think that anything can be done now about who kicked your dh, but whoever did it was totally out of order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now