Talk

Advanced search

Which would you consider more polite?

(26 Posts)
TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 13:38:06

You have posted a thread in AIBU: "Am I Being Unreasonable to get bantam hens for my back garden or should I get redcaps?"

This thread should clearly be in Chicken Keepers.

Which would you consider more polite?

A - Someone reports your post to MNHQ, and it gets moved. Nothing happens on the thread, you are not informed.

B - Someone posts on your thread "Did you know we have a Chicken Keepers topic? You are not really asking if you are being unreasonable."

Note: I picked Chicken Keepers because they are very good at putting chicken chat in the correct area smile

Inspired by dickiedavisthunderthighs's post here

allhailtheaubergine Thu 15-Sep-11 13:39:55

Erm... B, I think. It's nice and polite.

CharlieMcGee Thu 15-Sep-11 13:40:34

I don't care. I just think you have too much time on your hands and should stop spamming MN.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 13:42:49

If you think I am spamming then report me.

Someone suggested that reporting and moving was the correct thing to do so I thought I would open it up for discussion.

CharlieMcGee Thu 15-Sep-11 13:45:25

I already have and if you want everyting in order on MN, you should only be posting on mumsNOT as mn is a site by parents for parents. smile

DreamsOfSteam Thu 15-Sep-11 13:46:14

spamming? confused this is spamming and yet pointless posts about socks is not? hmm

CharlieMcGee Thu 15-Sep-11 13:48:09

Not this thread as such Dreams, just the constant jumping on threads and telling people where they should post. Tis annoying and disruptive.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 13:48:49

Well that's not very polite, is it, telling someone they are not welcome?

CaptainNancy Thu 15-Sep-11 13:50:27

What a masterful PA smily there CharlieMcGee.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 15-Sep-11 13:50:53

(B)

But on the whole I'd prefer C: mentally go hmm and then respond to the thread as if it was in Chicken Keepers

CharlieMcGee Thu 15-Sep-11 13:51:59

Neither is going to a thread and disrupting it and making it hard to concentrate on the actual thing the op asked about.

As I said on the other thread another poster used to bump unanswered threads about three times a day, in the end MN asked her to stop as it was disruptive as I feel what you are doing is.

HenriettaFarthingay Thu 15-Sep-11 13:53:49

I don't care where anything's posted, if the subject interests me.

caughtinanet Thu 15-Sep-11 13:55:05

I think A) is fine but with an email to explain why the move has happened.

otoh any thread that starts with "I know this isn't the right topic but ...." should be automatically moved to the delete folder grin

CaptainNancy Thu 15-Sep-11 14:15:08

Oh! Is that what happened to puzzlerocks? sad
I wondered where she was. I thought it was helpful to bump unanswered threads? shock

ShowMeTheMonet Thu 15-Sep-11 14:16:31

A) plus email is better as it comes from HQ, not a randomer.

EdithWeston Thu 15-Sep-11 14:19:24

I'd go for option D: answer the question where it is, but at at the end "Did you know there is a [link - chicken keeper's topic]? You might get better answers if you asked MNHQ to move your query there".

MediumOrchid Thu 15-Sep-11 14:24:05

I think b) but you need to be politer - I think b) as it is written could still offend someone. How about:

"Did you know we have a Chicken Keepers topic? You might find you get more helpful responses there. Also, you're not really asking if you're being unreasonable, are you? wink"

By the way, you know you're fighting a losing battle, don't you? You are never going to irradicate posts in the wrong topic!

CharlieMcGee Thu 15-Sep-11 14:41:22

I think PR still posts but she mentioned MNHQ had asked her to stop posting.

CharlieMcGee Thu 15-Sep-11 14:41:56

Stop bumping, rather.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 14:47:47

I understood the "please look at Unanswered Threads" thing, but bumping it if you know nothing at all about the situation isn't very helpful.

gramercy Thu 15-Sep-11 14:52:49

I go on another forum (nothing to do with mums!) and there is a moderator who speedily sweeps any wayward posts into the correct category.

I agree that I find it most irritating when you see "AIBU to ask how you cook sausage stew?" etc etc.

Or the ones that start off immediately, "I know IANBU but can you answer this as it gets more traffic..." NO! I make a one-woman stand against such posts and purposely ignore them.

CharlieMcGee Thu 15-Sep-11 14:59:03

I understand that Gramercy, and I do agree it is annoying when someone posts as they know they will get more traffic but equally annoying is someone popping up who is not a mod and telling the op what to do. As MN states over and over if you see something you don't like or you think is wrong then hit the report button.

I hate it when I see posts trying to advertise for free but I tell MN and get an email telling me they are sorting it, it is not my place to order other posters about.

festi Thu 15-Sep-11 16:37:40

neither of the above

just leave my thread well alone, if it offends you being in an inapropriate place in your standerds, then just <<<fuck the fuck off>>> off my thread.

wink

colditz Thu 15-Sep-11 16:45:57

but mn has always been lightlymoderated, it's never been modded to death because it's never needed to be. Unfortunately, there are some real dim-wads hanging around the AIBU forum now, so or course things are going to kick off, when people who aren't as dim challange their dim behavior.

TA - (B)

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 17:39:07

Have I just been complimented?

"not as dim as a dim-wad"

Thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now