Talk

Advanced search

Invited to reception and hen party, but not wedding

(13 Posts)
BirdOfPassage Tue 23-Aug-11 14:14:15

Should I give a gift?

BiscuitNibbler Tue 23-Aug-11 14:26:58

I wouldn't, but then I would probably give the hen party and the evening reception a miss too. Sounds like you're there to make up the numbers.

Pootles2010 Tue 23-Aug-11 14:28:58

Do you know how many are going to the actual wedding? Might it be a 20 people job?

I thought the reception was the expensive bit, so doesn't sound like they're being mean.

spout Tue 23-Aug-11 14:31:03

weird not to have the hens at the wedding, isn't it?

Cleverything Tue 23-Aug-11 14:31:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Tue 23-Aug-11 14:32:11

I couldn't attend without a gift, might be a smaller one than if I went to the whole day.

poorbuthappy Tue 23-Aug-11 14:35:39

All depends. One of my friends had their wedding in a venue which held 15 people. So we went to the hen do, the reception and evening do, but not the actual ceremony. Which made total sense.

MadamDeathstare Tue 23-Aug-11 14:43:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BirdOfPassage Tue 23-Aug-11 15:31:23

Thankyou for helpful replies. It's a Hindu wedding, and I don't know the couple (just one of the parents). I've called it 'hen party', because I think that's nearest equivalent to the 'Ladies Sangeet' I'm invited to.

Pootles2010 Tue 23-Aug-11 16:44:52

I think that sounds quite different then! I'm not sure of etiquette for Hindu weddings, sorry. But as another poster has mentioned, I couldn't go to a wedding without a present.

candytuft63 Tue 23-Aug-11 17:02:02

I am getting married in November and I am having a party for lots of friends the week before - they will also be invited to the evening do. I have arranged a really small wedding partyto attend the ceremony, just 3 closer friends and immediate family. I wanted this to sort of keep it special for me and to be with people who I really am closer to when I get married. My friends have been lovely about this and understood when I explained my arrangements.As for gifts, I dont know if I will get any, but probably, because I would give if I was a guest, even if it was just to the evening party.

Takitezee Wed 24-Aug-11 07:45:13

Yes I would give a gift. I don't agree that you're there to make up the numbers, it's usual to have closer people to the ceremony and sit down meal and others to the evening reception only.

BirdOfPassage Thu 25-Aug-11 18:38:37

Thanks all. A friend in same position as me has suggested we club together and buy them a garden centre voucher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now