Talk

Advanced search

Eating pies!

(9 Posts)
havinganightin Sun 14-Aug-11 21:14:15

Hi

Not sure if this is etiquette as such but the other day dh and I were at a restaurant where we had pie with veg. The pie came in a little dish with a puff pastry lid and a bowl of veg on a larger plate. I always take off the pie crust, tip the contents of the pie dish onto the plate and add some veg. DH thinks this is very common and eats his pie crust then dips his veg into the sauce in the pie dish. He says I am the only person he knows who eats pies like this.

I am not, am I?

This is a serious question - how do you eat your pies?

Thanks in advance smile

Kladdkaka Mon 15-Aug-11 09:22:46

Same way as you husband here. Although I think the bad etiquette is serving a pie that way.

TriggersBroom Mon 15-Aug-11 09:24:35

My DS makes a hole in the pastry at the top and digs his way in. And I thought he was weird!

TrillianAstra Mon 15-Aug-11 09:27:02

I hate pies that only have a lid of pastry.

Pies should be entirely encased in pastry and so there shouldn't be a little dish at all.

havinganightin Mon 15-Aug-11 14:03:17

Thanks all - although no-one agrees with me (with maybe the exception of TriggersBroom) smile

I don't like just 'dipping in' as you are always left with loads of gravy in the bottom of the dish (and I am guessing that using a spoon to eat that is definately not the right thing to do!)

notyummy Mon 15-Aug-11 14:07:14

Would never have thought of dismantling it as you describe tbh - imagine I would be been 'told off' as child for such antics! Would just use knife and fork to eat it out of the dish I think.

Or even better, just avoid pie conundrum and order something else - no one gets irritated and pies are bad for you anyway......

AMumInScotland Mon 15-Aug-11 14:10:37

I put part of the lid and part of the filling onto my plate, plus some of the veg. Then go back for more once that's eaten. I guess maybe he thinks it looks a bit greedy tipping it all out? Though it's all your portion and you're going to eat it all one way or another...

I agree you want to get the gravy out so that you don't waste it!

AMumInScotland Mon 15-Aug-11 14:11:44

Oh and by "part" I mean like a third or a half of it, not just a mouthful!

havinganightin Tue 16-Aug-11 09:40:07

Thanks. AMumInScotland - I don't think it's that (thinking I am greedy - but gosh, you have got e thinking now!), I just think it's because it is not how he was brought up. I always assumed it was how you did it as if you order veg at places like that you transfer them onto your plate. Still makes no sense to eat from the pie dish myself. All that lovely gravy!

Thanks for your views smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now