Talk

Advanced search

New baby gift and not sure whether boy or girl

(11 Posts)
Tattyhead78 Thu 21-Jul-11 10:24:55

I would like to send a friend who lives quite far away a new baby gift, but I am not sure whether her baby is a boy or a girl, since the name can be used for either. I am assuming that it would be rude to ask her: I expect she has taken ages to think about the name. Should I just try and get a non-pink and non-blue gift? (I must say that this is easier said that done!) Ideally I would like to get something for mum, dad and baby.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 10:26:17

is there anyone else you can ask?

thesurgeonsmate Thu 21-Jul-11 10:29:37

One of our best gifts was a penguin mobile from Flensted, home of the smart mobile. Gender neutral, lightweight and a pleasure for all the family. Baby liked it when she was very small, I could watch it when feeding her, all good.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 10:32:32

how much did you want to spend?

downpipe Thu 21-Jul-11 10:33:19

Can you ring her for a chat and see how baby is getting on and then find out in the conversation? Or text or email her, she might reply with he/she is doing xyz.If not, send something like an animal book or a lullaby cd..these type of presents were my favourite ones anyway.

downpipe Thu 21-Jul-11 10:46:41

Also, was just thinking..if the name can be used for either,and your friend hasn't told you the sex,I don't think it is rude to ask (someone in my family has just had a "Gene" and we are often get asked if she had a boy or girl!)

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Thu 21-Jul-11 11:05:01

Just don't do what I did and send a girl card to a baby Eden who turned out to be a boy blush

ramade Thu 21-Jul-11 11:05:29

You can get 'New Baby' cards and if you avoid clothes (which new parents get stcks of anyway), maybe a set of wooden building blocks (something like that) is like a keep sake. M&S do a white range of baby stuff (keep sakes) I think.

thesurgeonsmate Thu 21-Jul-11 11:06:19

Those Quentin Blake cards are fun and gender neutral.

Ragwort Thu 21-Jul-11 11:07:13

Surely you can send a 'neutral' card and gift - white babygrow/book/cuddly toy/voucher for example grin - although it would be interesting to know if it is a boy or a girl !

InstantAtom Sat 30-Jul-11 09:19:14

Lots of "neutral" gifts on Amazon - books, toys etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now