Talk

Advanced search

When your dc's friend's mother arrives to pick her dc up after playing at your house

(13 Posts)
MrsFogi Thu 27-Jan-11 23:11:48

do you invite her in for a cup of tea (even if you've never really met) or do you simply return her dc? I'm just starting out with playdates for dd1 who is in reception and wondered what the "done" thing is. On one hand I'd like to invite the mothers in for a cup of tea to get to know them. On the other, I've usually just got in from work and it is the dcs bedtime. I don't want to be seen to be rushing the friend/mother off if the usual thing to do is invite them to stay for a chat at pick-up time.

goldtinsel Thu 27-Jan-11 23:15:29

You ask them for a cup of tea and they say 'I'd love to but better not! Better get the kids to bed!'

Hopefully.

Sinkingfeeling Thu 27-Jan-11 23:15:43

Depends how well I know them, but usually do invite them in for a cup of tea/glass of wine and hope they say no! blush I'm generally a bit knackered by then and just want to get on with getting my own children bathed/ready for bed and collapsing on the sofa. I'm probably a lightweight though. I quite often take the child home afterwards rather than have their mother collect, because we live further away from school than most of their friends.

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 27-Jan-11 23:17:16

Invite in for a cup of tea on the first one or two occasions. Because, yes, it is nice to know the parents of the children your dc play with at school. You don't have to do it every time they play together.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 27-Jan-11 23:20:07

Cup of tea.

Mssoul Thu 27-Jan-11 23:21:37

Invite in. If they come in, great. If not, more great grin

threefeethighandrising Thu 27-Jan-11 23:40:46

Definitely invite them in for a cup of tea / glass of wine.

pippop1 Mon 16-May-11 00:21:26

When you arrange the playdate, ask if they can arrive half an hour early to pick up their DC so that you can have a cup of tea.

whodunnit Mon 16-May-11 00:24:14

cup of tea. Or make sure the kids aren't ready to go, so there is five minutes finding shoes and bags etc. Sounds like you need to befriend some mums so you know who you're sending your DD to visit.

ClipArt Wed 18-May-11 19:33:36

If someone refused a cup of tea I'd worry that they didn't like me and couldn't wait to get home!

BsshBossh Fri 22-Jul-11 19:49:16

Arrange an earlier pick up so you have time for tea. Drop into conversation when arranging pick up time that your DC's bedtime routine starts at x time so the parent understands why you'd like their DC to be picked up at a particular time.

MindtheGappp Fri 22-Jul-11 21:44:04

Ask her if she would like to have tea/wine while the children are finishing their play.

Butterflybows Sun 07-Aug-11 21:10:07

Could you say something along the lines of; "Collect Sophie at 5, but if you want to come at 4.30 for a cup of tea/glass of wine, you're very welcome'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now