Talk

Advanced search

health in maternity grant guilt?

(7 Posts)
BlueChampagne Thu 08-Oct-09 13:33:09

Anyone else feeling a little bit guilty, as it's not means tested and having managed without previously?

I'm thinking of donating via goodgiftsshop.org - either a maternity kit, a baby parcel or a bike for a midwife.

CocoK Thu 08-Oct-09 14:25:31

Only very vaguely guilty, and that's more due to what I planned to spend it on. I'd feel less comfortable spending it on whatever, but feel better having decided to buy a buggy with it. It will stop me spending silly amounts of money (as I won't spend more than the grant) and help keep me healthy as I'll need to do lots of walking with it after the birth to lose the baby weight. But if you really don't need it, donating it to a good cause seems like a great idea.

EldonAve Thu 08-Oct-09 14:30:58

The original plan was that they would pay Child Benefit from 29th week of pregnancy but they replaced it with the grant

So it's just more CB money - will you be giving that away too?

mazzystartled Thu 08-Oct-09 14:36:58

Don't be silly.
I presume you have been paying tax for most of your working life? If so then this grant is your entitlement (for now, until it gets cut alongside all the other things that are going to get sliced post election).
If you are very wealthy, presumably you already make charitable donations to appropriate causes?

BlueChampagne Thu 08-Oct-09 16:29:05

Not wealthy (I wish) and already make charity donations, but aware that others need it more.

mazzystartled Thu 08-Oct-09 16:34:46

Better then not to claim/choose not accept it at all.

The grant is to support your health in pregnancy, not charities of your choosing.

LeonieBooCreepy Thu 08-Oct-09 16:38:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now