Advanced search

Has anyone got a Green Roof?

(3 Posts)
Helium Mon 28-Sep-09 14:36:14

I'd love a Green Roof! Rubbish at doing links - does thiswork?!)
Does anyone have one? Are they expensive/practical - please tell me anything that you know!

Takver Mon 28-Sep-09 18:38:29

Well, I'm no expert at all, and have never lived in one, but I've known a few huts with turf roofs, if thats the sort of thing you're thinking of - along these lines. I guess the main advantage is insulation and appearance. The number one disadvantage I would say is weight, they are bloody heavy, so if you're building something to take a turf roof it means you need to engineer it much more strongly than you otherwise would. Combine that with a hippy disinclination for triangulation and structural bracing (which I'm sure you wouldn't share), and the results can be a little alarming. You also end up with a big bald patch in your field where you dug up a load of turf grin I don't know if sedum roofs are lighter weight?
The ones I've known have had rubber pondliner as the waterproof membrane, and it is prone to get punctured & leak.

SkaterGrrrrl Tue 29-Sep-09 20:22:14

No but they were everywhere at Hampton Court Flower Show this year! I covet one but we're in a ground floor flat

I saw this one recently on a eco shop in the Cotswolds, you could email them and ask for advice?

The Living Green Centre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now