Talk

Advanced search

I know that IABU, but would it bother you too?

(6 Posts)
clop Sun 27-Sep-09 10:44:55

Close neighbours have a small apple tree on their small front lawn. Every year it drops many dozens of windfalls, they don't seem to eat barely any of its bounty.

Of course it's none of my business whether they waste the food, but it drives me nuts. Twice in 5 years I have nicked apples when they weren't home, and twice I have knocked on the door and asked if I could pick some for apple crumble. Last time they gushed how they "do" eat the apples on the tree, but said I could have the windfalls (we got a lot a good size crumble out of them).

I could forget about it if I didn't walk by and see all the wasted apples daily. Why do people find it so easy to waste food? If it were my tree, I'd be delighted to offer the extra apples to a neighbour who could use them.

And then I think, why have all those ugly windfalls rotting on your lawn for weeks if you don't make much use of the tree's fruit, wouldn't it be nicer to remove the tree, and have a nicer-looking front garden AND a clear view out the window instead?

I know, I Know None of my business...

MrsBadger Sun 27-Sep-09 10:49:24

yanbu really
I have been snaffling windfalls from under the trees at work for years

go round with a different offer - they might be too old/lazy/busy to pick them and might let you loose the whole crop if you promise to give them (eg) two carrier bags of perfect ones

foxinsocks Sun 27-Sep-09 10:51:44

it's nice that you feel so sorry for the tree.

If it bothers you that much, start looking after the tree. Water it, prune it, pick the apples and you can guarantee that within a month of you doing that, they'll be chopping it down to get rid of their mad neighbour wink

Some people have busy lives and don't have time to pick all the apples and use them. Also, a lot of people feel a bit bleurgh about knocking on people's doors and offering food.

And trees are nice you know (attract wildlife etc.). Even if all their fruit isn't being eaten.

BellaBear Sun 27-Sep-09 10:51:58

there's a group somewhere (think it might be Bristol? Saw it on BBC breakfast once), that collects unwanted fruit and juices it and gives away the juice for free. Can't remember more details.

It does bother me to see wasted fruit like that. Like MrsBadger's suggestion

clop Sun 27-Sep-09 12:33:25

They are a family of 2 adults (mid 40s, both working) and 3 healthy late teens girls. So perfectly able to harvest, care for tree & even eat all the apples if they wanted.

I feel like I've been too pushy already by just asking for some of the fruit.

They just don't care about the waste, that's what niggles me.

cheesesarnie Sun 27-Sep-09 12:39:58

maybe they inherited the tree and dont have green fingers?
i would ask again about the windfalls and mention that youd be happy to make them apple pies from theyre produce as a thankyou.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now