Talk

Advanced search

The never ending conflict between saving money & aving the planet has hit printer ink

(11 Posts)
Katymac Sun 27-Sep-09 09:47:48

<<hits head on table>>

I need Hewlitt Packard inkjet cartridges

The cheapest way to buy is a 363 pack which has all 5 colours plus a black plus photo paper. I know have a shopping bag full of photo paper & pale pink/pale blue cartridges that I will never use

If I buy the 3 colours pack & the black separately it is about £5-£10 more expensive

So I have to waste all this stuff - it is frustrating and not very eco, but £10 on a £30 pack is a lot of money

nymphadora Sun 27-Sep-09 09:57:16

Freecycle the rest?

Takver Sun 27-Sep-09 10:00:24

What printer have you got? You can refill the ink cartridges on a lot of them - see link here
Or if you do a lot of printing then a Continuous Ink System like this (they do them for most of of the HP printers) is fab, you need to hack your printer a bit but then you just have a bottle of ink on your desk & refill it whenever it gets low.
Otherwise, could you give away the unwanted photo paper & cartridges? Someone's bound to want them.

clop Sun 27-Sep-09 10:04:11

Flog unwanteds on Ebay?

Katymac Sun 27-Sep-09 10:09:25

I guess

I have 2300 sheets of photo paper & 12 pale pink & 12 pale blue

I don't think I can refill - the cartridges have chips in I think

Takver Sun 27-Sep-09 10:11:42

They do have chips in, but you can generally fool them by cycling through 3 cartridges (we just have them labelled A, B & C, & you put in the next in the line, so to speak)

Katymac Sun 27-Sep-09 10:13:32

Oh WOW that CIS looks good

WOuld it invalidate my guarantee? (if I does I just won't fit it until after the guarantee is up)

Takver Sun 27-Sep-09 10:25:44

I guess it would - but they are great, we've had them on two printers now and its just sooo much better than messing around with refilling.

Katymac Sun 27-Sep-09 20:40:38

I have a photosmart C7200 so I'll have a look to see if I can do this CIS thing

I also like the cycling 3 cartridges - I'll have a look at that too

Takver Mon 28-Sep-09 08:32:48

Have a search, there's lots of people out there on t'net trying to work their way round the endless tiny cartridges. We've had a 5150, 5652, and 8000, and we (well to be fair DH who is good at this sort of thing!) managed to get something as an alternative on all of them.

madlentileater Mon 28-Sep-09 21:58:46

we buy recycled ones at work, and they take the empties (Epson I think) no probs.
also, I nearly always print draft quality=it's good enough for most things.
and use both sides of the paper of course wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now