Talk

Advanced search

Apols for the multiple post, but I've heard you lot are cycling whizzes! Advice on getting three kids (incl newborn) to school by bike.

(11 Posts)
SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 13:55:21

I posted this on "Other Subjects" and got some great advice, but have been reliably informed that you ethical dudes might have more info:

I really need to be able to cycle to school with three kids: a young baby (2 months ish), a three yr old and four yr old.

I was originally intending on getting a Trikidoo with a bobike for the baby, but I've only just realised that the bobike is not suitable under 7 months.

Is there any way round this? I have a wrap sling...could I carry the baby in there? My journey is mainly through a park...v good cycle path, and I would think little risk of having an accident, esp on a trike.

Or are there bicycle trailers that are suitable for little babies plus an older kid? And then I could use the bobike for the other kid...

I can spend up to £1000 on whatever solution there might be.

Please help!!

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 13:56:32

I am curently leaning towards the dutch cargotrike (and blowing my budget grin).

justaphase Fri 18-Sep-09 14:01:46

or how about this thing? It says you can strap in a baby cot. No idea about cost though.

www.christianiabikes.com/english/uk_main.htm

bronze Fri 18-Sep-09 14:03:47

I love that rike.

Probably a bit cheaper to get a trailor for two and put one in a seat on the back of your bike. You would have to get the newborn seat (harder to find )but would still work out cheaper than the trike

bronze Fri 18-Sep-09 14:04:00

*trike

bronze Fri 18-Sep-09 14:06:08

Its weber who make the baby seat

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 14:20:16

oh decisions decisions! A bike + trailer might be more practical as we'll have to store it in our house, but I like the idea of the stability of a trike...

Wonder what the resale value of them would be...Might be able to justify the cost better if I can recoup a decent amount of it a few years down the line.

bronze Fri 18-Sep-09 17:26:50

I've always wanted a trike and regularly look at the pashleys on ebay. I think they hold value fairly well. Especially ones with the seats on the back

silverfrog Fri 18-Sep-09 17:34:23

I have a Kangaroo, and use it for my 2 dds aged 5 and 2. If i were to have another I would bung baby in car seat behind the seats in the main body when very young. I too use mostly cycle paths, and I reckon baby would be safer/more comfortable in car seat in main body of trike than in a wrap sling...

once past the tiny newborn stage (and tbh it would be a miracle if I got on a bike with a baby under about 4 months tbh, just form an organisational point of view!) I would probably put dd2 in a seat on rear frame and have dd1 (SN) and baby in the cabin...

nlpmum Mon 21-Sep-09 23:59:17

How far away is school? My 4 yr old is cycling to school and we're leaving his bike there for the day. He is up and running on a proper bike, I'm not sure from your post whether your 4 yr old is cycling? If not, I suggest you get him/her a balance bike, he'll be riding a bike proper in a few months. F

nlpmum Tue 22-Sep-09 00:00:06

PS My 2 yr old usually goes on his push along fire engine, it's about a mile to school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now