Talk

Advanced search

My friend has started a website for free sharing of sustainable technologies and solutions

(6 Posts)
SkaterGrrrrl Wed 16-Sep-09 13:46:43

What do green-minded MNers think?

Any feedback welcomed

Thanks!

http://www.ivili.org/

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 16-Sep-09 13:47:53

Ahem.

www.ivili.org

<thick emoticon>

Fennel Wed 16-Sep-09 13:50:29

it looks interesting. smile

who's it particularly aimed at? People working in developing countries?

DP and I are thinking of starting a company/website to share sustainable technology on, among other things, but our idea is more about computer applications.

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 16-Sep-09 14:14:09

It does seem to be aimed at people in developing countries, although there are also green tips for people in the developed world.

The word iVili is Xhosa for wheel and I gather the idea of iVili is to save people from re-inventing the wheel every time by sharing know-how.

Good luck with your company fennel, what sort of thing do you have in mind? uBuntu or Druppel software, that kind of thing?

Fennel Wed 16-Sep-09 14:30:40

The main gist of our website/company is to offer technology to small companies, charities, local organisations who might have a website but not much more, and might or might not have grants for technology. looking at what they need (database, computer-coordinated volunteer rota, website, all sorts of application) and tailoring it to the needs of small companies and not-for-profit organisations. Also helping them get grants to do this.

and could/would involve freeshare applications. Linux-based technology, links to freeshare sites, details about OpenOffice and similar, things that computer programmers know about but people setting up small businesses or voluntary organisations don't.

now we need a name for this.

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 16-Sep-09 17:24:33

Martha Lane Fox (founder of LastMinute.com as I'm sure you know) has set up a trust helping charities think through how they use web and mobile technologies.

http://www.antigone.org.uk/need-support/

Might be worth a look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now