Talk

Advanced search

What do do with clothes that are a bit too worn for a charity shop but otherwise OK

(26 Posts)
twofalls Fri 04-Sep-09 12:15:34

I have just sorted out loads of DDs clothes and a lot of them are not really good enough for the charity shop because they are a bit misshapen or slightly stained but I hate the thought of just throwing them out or just putting them in the recycling for the material to be recycled.

Are there any other options?

Thanks

BlueChampagne Fri 04-Sep-09 12:38:48

Freecycle? If you explain on your post that some have the odd stain etc, someone might still be grateful for them. After all, with kids they're only likely to get more stained!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 04-Sep-09 12:40:59

clothing recycling bank? local hospital, hospice, care home, homeless hostel, similar?

iheartdusty Fri 04-Sep-09 12:43:39

AFAIK most charity shops have a deal with a textile agent who then considers whether they are rags for recycling or whether they can be sold abroad or donated for emergency help etc.

so at least the charity shop gets a few ££ for the textile value.

MaryBS Fri 04-Sep-09 12:45:55

I would check with the charities first though, as some of them don't do this, and say it costs to get rid of the stuff.

cat64 Fri 04-Sep-09 12:56:54

Message withdrawn

twofalls Fri 04-Sep-09 13:53:36

thank you, will see try to freecycle, or ask my local charity shop.

If you fancy sending them to me in Kenya I have an orphanage that could use them smile

thirtypence Sat 05-Sep-09 06:10:40

I worked in a factory once and they were always wiping the machinery with a pair of enormous knickers or an old babygro.

Podrick Sat 05-Sep-09 06:43:10

If you are creative you can cut up and use in sewing projects to make bags etc

CheerfulYank Sat 05-Sep-09 06:56:12

master&margaritas, is the orphanage in dire need anything else?

Meglet Sat 05-Sep-09 07:08:57

Some local tips have rag / textiles skips.

ProfYaffle Sat 05-Sep-09 07:20:29

I cut mine up for cleaning cloths, or use them as jam pot covers if they're pretty enough. I occasionally get the sewing machine out and make cushions/toys bags etc but not often!

I never know what to do with jeans so they just go into textile recycling at the tip.

expatinscotland Sat 05-Sep-09 07:39:55

rag rugs

twofalls Sat 05-Sep-09 07:45:00

master&margaritas I would love to send them to you. I have children's shoes too - would you like those. They are toddler kind of age. Would you like a few teddies too - DD sorted out all her toys yesterday and wants to give them to children who haven't got so happy to send some.

Have you got an email address I can contact you on? Mine gives my name so I don't really want to put it here and I don't seem to have CAT set up, although you can CAT me.

expatinscotland Sat 05-Sep-09 07:48:52

try some local nurseries, too.

ours takes clothes like this to put children in when they've had a toileting accident or got a little too carried away with the paint or playing in water.

twofalls and cheerfulYank, thank you so much smile I can't CAT either, let me see if I can sign up.....

twofalls Sun 06-Sep-09 16:44:53

if not, try tracy at tgm dot ox14 dot com - that could work.

PixiNanny Sun 06-Sep-09 17:48:39

The charity shop I volunteer at takes them but we rag them. Some we give to the local garage for rag use and others get taken away for recycling

PixiNanny Sun 06-Sep-09 17:53:45

TMAM - Do you work in the orphanage or have one near you? Do they recruit volunteers and if so do they use a company to get them? Just curious as am saving to volunteer atm and most of these gap year companies want thousands and it's impossible trying to find smaller companies or the orphanages themselves angry

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 06-Sep-09 17:55:14

I would love to be able to donate things like this knowing that they will be given away to people in developing countries, not sold to them.

Am going to investigate further and will report back grin.

Clothing that has holes or broken zips, old underwear etc, I always put in the clothing recycling bins at Sainsburys.

LaDiDaDi Sun 06-Sep-09 17:56:04

I would love to make a rag rug with our stuff that is in a similar condition but I'e never got round to investigating exactly how to do it so if it's not good enough for the charity shop then it goes in the recycling.

notcitrus Sun 06-Sep-09 18:15:24

Local children's centre may collect clothes to pass on to refuges or other kids whose parents aren't able to easily get clean clothes.

Went to put a load in the recycling bin recently and the whole bin had vanished!

I have manage to sign up to CAT so will email you both.

Pixi, no I don't work there, this orphanage is one that is supported by a colleague of my dh, I am hoping to go up there next week to see them. There are many many orphanages here.... What sort of volunteer work are you interested in? I could ask around.

In my experience, small toys, books, toothbrushes are always needed, but I am going to check with them.

PixiNanny Sun 06-Sep-09 19:56:35

TMAM - Oh right, I want to work with the kids, be a carer for a few months; been looking at Russian orphanages mainly, never even though of different countries before now really! Just want to compare prices and experiences, and I'd rather go with a place who don't get the additional help from the gap year companies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now