Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody use a wormery?

(13 Posts)
mumblecrumble Wed 02-Sep-09 13:57:32

We have a very little back yard that is getting greener...

Have small compost bin that is full. Was given some worm liquid through facebook and now I;m wonering about a wormery..

ANy thoughts or recomendations

OrmIrian Wed 02-Sep-09 14:01:47

My compost bin has turned into a wormery all on it's own. We have masses of them and every now and again I transfer some to the soil along with compost.

mumblecrumble Wed 02-Sep-09 14:08:00

Nice one!

Also, are the worms happy?

OrmIrian Wed 02-Sep-09 14:08:53

It's hard to tell. They tend to be ambivalent when I ask them grin But they are certainly reproducing!

OrmIrian Wed 02-Sep-09 14:10:06

And they chow down on anything and everything. I put some dead leaves from a cordyline last autumn - really tough - and they were gone by March.

CMOTdibbler Wed 02-Sep-09 14:14:29

I got my mum one from Bubble House worms and it works but the worms are a bit fussy - they like shredded paper, but can't have colour ink, and they need to be kept warm in the winter.

I was going to get worms to stick in my compost bin, but I bokashi, and they don't like it apparently

BlueKangerooWonders Wed 02-Sep-09 14:35:08

I LOVE my wormery!! Even the dc count them as pets wink. Got it from wiggly wigglers and it's the 'worm factory' so a rectangular shape so fits flush against the wall. Ours eat all raw peelings and leftovers, plus all shredded paper. We only have a patio garden so couldn't have a compost heap anyway, but the worms keep up with us and our leftovers.

But mine aren't fussy! (sorry CMOT!)

Fibonacci Fri 04-Sep-09 21:05:25

I'm interested in a wormery too. Relocated my compost heap after the first one got invaded by rats, and now the rats have moved into the second one too.

Presumably as a wormery is a sealed system, the rats wouldn't be able to get in?

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 16-Sep-09 13:39:53

We tried a wormery, it wasnt a huge success but I we got a cheap one and didnt perservere.

we just uise an ordinary compost hear now. I have friends with wormeries who are converts so give it a go!

Note:

You cant put citrus or dairy in a wormery - they dont like the taste of lemons and cheese rinds etc usually contain the worm-killing products that the cow was dosed with.

Cluckadoodledoo Wed 16-Sep-09 13:44:16

I have a can o worms. been using it for 7 years it's fab! Have never had to buy more worms. Bought it from Wiggly wigglers who are really helpful and have a brilliant website.

We Bokashi too which is also good and perhaps slightly easier.

ihearthuckabees Wed 16-Sep-09 13:50:42

Wormeries are good but you need to be a bit careful what you put in it.

No citrus, garlic, onion, potato peelings, cooked food.

Watch it doesn't get too wet either - put shredded paper in every now and then to soak up excess liquid.

Keep warm in winter (garage or shed)

Good luck!

Our worm juice is much prized in our street and our neighbour trades us worm juice for home grown tomatoes (grown with the aid of the worm juice!)

nellyup Wed 16-Sep-09 14:00:17

We have a can-o-worms too. We like it but its harder work than we expected and have had terrible trouble with flies sometimes.

Cluckadoodledoo Wed 16-Sep-09 14:23:25

Have you looked at Bokashi buckets? we got ours in teh sumer and you can compost all food waste with it plus it still gives a good liquid fertilizer. Plus no flies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now