Talk

Advanced search

Fed up that to do so many things you need a car

(9 Posts)
ChairmumMiaow Mon 10-Aug-09 15:22:20

I don't drive. Mostly because I would be dangerous - I freeze when I panic.

I think I could learn and pass my test but I know if I did that I would turn into a lazy madam and my arse would grow even larger.

So I don't want to learn to drive. DH and I have a car which comes off the drive once or twice a week. We like it that way

However, I want to do an evening/daytime class now and it seems like it is going to be impossible unless someone drives me there. I should be able to get someone to watch DS without a problem but the college campus for what I want is not in one of the main towns locally and would be a complete pain to get to.

All I want to do is learn to sew properly, but it seems that unless I happen to live nearby or drive, its not going to happen, and that sucks! Its the same for a load of things (2 buses taking I don't know how long to get to a LLL meeting - haven't braved it yet)

I know I'm ranting but our public transport system sucks, and I can't see how we're ever going to be less reliant on cars

BlueChampagne Mon 10-Aug-09 16:05:39

Is it a feasible cycle ride?

Otherwise, can you contact the college and see if anyone else enrolling is from your area and would be interested in car-sharing, maybe for a donation towards fuel?

Our car gets about as much exercise as yours but both of us drive, which makes a difference.

Takver Mon 10-Aug-09 20:19:18

Its really frustrating, isn't it. And like you say, its a vicious circle, because everyone drives, there isn't the demand to keep a decent public transport system going, and all the financial incentives are set up to keep it that way because you pay for the car/insurance/roadtax in one lump up front rather than per mile so bus tickets seem so expensive compared to the petrol.

I do drive, but try not to, but there are a few things that I just couldn't do if I didn't use the car. Mostly I don't do them, where I do tend to is if they are for dd as I don't want her to miss out too much. Luckily we aren't broke so the cost is not an issue stopping me using the bus/train.

With your course, could you get a lift for the first session, and then see if anyone is there who is coming from your town - last time I did an evening class myself and friend both got a lift with the tutor, who was driving past our town en route. As BC says, you can always offer petrol money.

ChairmumMiaow Mon 10-Aug-09 20:22:28

Thanks! Car sharing is a good idea so if the timing of the course works out I can persue that idea

BarryPinches Thu 27-Aug-09 20:26:22

Stick with not having a car. We have 2 kids under 3 and have chosen not to have one. It's a real pain, the buggy wheels take a proper battering with heavy shopping but we've both lost weight and feel like we've done something that our kids will thank us for. Every time I weaken and think that having a car would make life so much easier, I think of future generations who will probably have harder lives than ours are because of global warming. Good luck!

fishie Thu 27-Aug-09 20:34:37

i live in london so public transport is fine, if runiously expensive. i have got a licence but haven't driven for many years. chairmummiaow i think you should consider learning to drive, it is a useful skill.

i can see the day coming when i have to return to driving, our car is 17 years old now and i couldn't possibly manage it but a newer one would be ok.

our car use is the same as you two chairmum and bc, but means we have to go everywhere together, which is ridiculous.

unluckyfriedkitten Thu 27-Aug-09 20:42:20

It's shit isn't it. We've learnt the hard way that life in our current area just isn't possible without a car and will be moving as soon as the contract runs out on our house. I think I hate it all the more because I grew up in an area that was very good for buses etc so I know it is possible. Really wish the government would get it's act together angry

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 27-Aug-09 21:03:54

It also makes days out with the family a royal PITA. Especially when you have kids who barf at the mere sight of a bus!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 28-Aug-09 12:03:05

maybe do OU courses instead?
We were carfree for years and its great. Managed everything i wanted to do and realised stuff I couldn't do was no big deal.
DH cycles the 5 miles to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now