Talk

Advanced search

Sorry, more Mooncup questions!

(8 Posts)

Am on my 2nd day of using Mooncup, and it seems to be going ok-ish, but I have the following problem (def. TMI in this, btw ):

- getting it in is fine. Getting it out is proving to be something of a struggle. I can reach the stem bit fine, but that doesn't help, as the suction is holding the damn thing too tightly to move it in any way. So I have to go past that and try to grab hold of the bottom of the mc, squeeze it to break the seal and then, clutching madly in the hope it doesn't slip away, maneouver it downwards.

Now, the actual problems are: I feel like my fingers aren't really long enough (even though I always thought I had long fingers - I can reach well over an octave on the piano ). I am bearing down, so the mc is quite low, and I can easily reach the bottom of it, but how do I get both a finger AND thumb (necessary to get a hold of the bloody thing) round it high enough to get it down??? And it doesn't help that it's very wet and slippery too! I've practically got my whole hand up there blush, and it's still not long enough!!

And the other thing is that I have long nails. Not scary-talon-long, just long. They seem to be on the one hand really getting in the way when I try and squeeze the mc (not quite hurting myself as such, but feels v. weird) but I can't see how I'd EVER get the thing out without them (as fingers alone have no grip).

HELP!!!!

Oh, and it's leaking, too, but I think that's a positioning problem, which I just have to work on. Have read all the tips on that, so am experimenting with putting it in in different positions.

hairtwiddler Sat 25-Jul-09 08:50:28

Mmm... things that come to mind.
Are you putting it in too high maybe? Should be lower than you would have put a tampon.
Also, can you experiment with moving positions, e.g. a squat which might add to the effect of bearing down?
I haven't had to use mine in a while, but think I break the seal with finger and thumb then wiggle it down a bit.
HTH

foofi Sat 25-Jul-09 08:51:27

I find it very hard to get a mooncup out when my nails are long.

PrincessToadstool Sat 25-Jul-09 08:54:28

I have a mooncup but not used it yet (due on now!) but found myself reading the FAQ on the website and it mentioned using a pin to clear the holes by the rim to help the release...?

I think I might be wearing it too high, actually, having studied the diagram that comes with it... but I don't really push it up there, as such, I just put it in and my ahem muscles sort of pull it in themselves...

So can you all really easily just reach up and put a finger and thumb around the whole thing?

hairtwiddler Sat 25-Jul-09 09:28:31

No, but can easily reach the bottom. Took a while to get the hang of it, so persevere a bit and you'll develop your 'technique'!

Ok, seem to be getting better at it now (have cut my nails, which has helped!), but twice now I've had problems getting it out because it feels like it has turned sideways hmm

Is this possible? I had to dig around quite deep to get hold of the bottom bit and try to turn it so I could grab it properly. It definitely felt like it was lying horizontally.... anyone else had this??

Takver Mon 27-Jul-09 10:54:03

Yes, I had exactly that problem. I only solved it by getting the smaller sized cup. I had the big one to start with and it just wouldn't stay put and ended up squished round sideways all the time. Most uncomfortable, and messy once removed.
Now I have the smaller size and it is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now