Talk

Advanced search

Can you recycle corks?

(27 Posts)
pocketmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 23:00:31

Hi all

I have rather alot of corks, I used to put in the compost bin, but found they don't rot too well, so my garden looked like a wino's retreat!

I don't like putting things in the rubbish bin if I can avoid it, so have tried to make a feature of them by collecting in a large square vase. Said vase is now overflowing.

What can I do with them?

Thanks in advance for reading and for any tips.

8oreighty Mon 20-Jul-09 23:02:07

We have been saving them for 10 years! very interested to know...

Hobnobfanatic Mon 20-Jul-09 23:04:07

I'm sure the local nusery group could use them.

pocketmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 23:05:25

10 years...you must drink less than we do grin. I'm being overtaken by corks and that's in about 2 years!blush

pocketmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 23:06:28

Sorry Hobnob x-post.

Sorry if I'm being daft, but what would the nursery use them for?

8oreighty Mon 20-Jul-09 23:10:49

We actually put them all into a box when we moved...huge box. We have this strange thing that we can't throw them out, since we met...actually 12 years...we have literally thousands of them. No way am I going into the local nursery with them - would look like biggest alcoholic in area. It is letting up now though with the amount of twist off tops!

Katisha Mon 20-Jul-09 23:13:18

Oh lordy - DH has a pointless cork collection. And every now and then, when we need a particular sized cork to go in a bottle of cordial or something, it comes in useful.

But not useful enough to justify keeping hundreds of the buggers IMO.

If someone could come along and say they can go in the compost heap that would be a Way Out I think.

Hobnobfanatic Mon 20-Jul-09 23:16:05

They love corks - for bobbing in water, for painting and using as 'stamps' on paper, for threading, for loads and loads of different craft projects!

pocketmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 23:16:09

Even if I don't get a solution - I feel better because I'm not the only one!

smile

pocketmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 23:17:33

Hobnob - I did start to put them in DD's junk modelling bag that she obsessively fills, but her carer looked at me oddly when I bunged in about 30 corks - so I stopped. I might ask them if they can use them and explain why I have so many so they don't report me to SS for being a lush!

jicky Mon 20-Jul-09 23:32:59

I made a Christmas wreath out of them once! You can also arrange them in a frame to make a pin board.

jemart Mon 20-Jul-09 23:45:00

Ooh! I know!
Make a notice board!
You will need lots of corks cut in half lengthways, hotmelt glue gun or other strong adhesive and a large picture frame.
Take the frame apart and discard glass if present.
Glue the corks to the back board in a herringbone pattern (or other pattern of your choosing, I just think herringbone looks quirky) Cork pieces should be as closely packed as possible.
Trim bits of corks to fit any small gaps round the edges, put board back into frame and your done.

jemart Mon 20-Jul-09 23:45:48

X post there

cat64 Mon 20-Jul-09 23:46:39

Message withdrawn

Hobnobfanatic Tue 21-Jul-09 10:39:59

Doing all these craft projects will at least keep you off the bottle for a few hours, POcketmonster wink

pocketmonster Tue 21-Jul-09 20:45:49

Good point Hobnob!
Thanks jemart - I should try it the kids would love doing that!

pocketmonster Tue 21-Jul-09 20:47:15

Sorry Cat I wasn't ignoring you - do you think I'd look a prat in Brittany in one of those hats..? grin

FritesMenthe Tue 21-Jul-09 20:55:05

DH has been collecting corks for a pinboard for about the last 10 years. Now his plans have been thwarted by plastic corks and screwtops. Teehee.

BlueChampagne Fri 24-Jul-09 11:41:13

If your council runs a high temperature composting service for green waste, put them in there. Possibly not all at once though, they might not thank you grin

pocketmonster Sat 25-Jul-09 21:20:53

They do - thanks Blue I shall start feeding them in a few at a time!

claireybee Sat 25-Jul-09 21:24:53

I read this as "Can you recycle norks?"

Time to shut down the computer methinks blush

scienceteacher Sat 25-Jul-09 21:25:49

Real corks can go in the compost. Synthetic ones cannot.

We tend to save ours for crafts and science experiments.

bronze Sun 26-Jul-09 10:38:49

If you have as many million as you say then stick them on end and put them under the kis play area (if you have one)

bronze Sun 26-Jul-09 10:40:14

www.justcorks.com/ccw.htm

bronze Sun 26-Jul-09 10:40:56

hehe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now