Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy eco friendly furniture?

(5 Posts)
ursigurke Sun 12-Jul-09 13:24:36

I'm living in London and expecting my first child. I really would like to find a eco friendly cot made from solid wood without any chemical or unnatural treatments. Any idea where I can find this kind of furniture?

Astrophe Sun 12-Jul-09 13:34:16

In terms of eco friendliness, any second hand cot would tick that box as the eco footprint of the cot would have already been take on by the original owners, and you'd be saving said cot from landfill. You could perhaps sand it back and coat it with oil, so no chemicals or paint?

No idea where you buy an eco friendly cot as such - do you mean made of plantation timber? Because I suspect most or even all cots would be made from plantation timber. With regards to chemical treatment of the actual tree its made from - do they use a lot of pesticides in growing timber? I wouldn't know, but have never heard anything to sugest it.

Seems like the main issue would be paint/varnish etc - I'd buy second hand and sand, or buy untreated plantation timber and either leave untreated (but it will not stay nice looking) or treat with oil.

ursigurke Sun 12-Jul-09 19:15:23

Thanks for that hint, true about the carbon footprint.
But I am also worried about paint/varnish/glue thing as I have already read lots of horror stories. (And I have just visited a newly painted flat and was close to throwing up - I might be more sensitive as I'm pregnant but it shows perfectly that this kind of stuff is just really unhealthy). I had found some really good quality furniture but for some reason only adult beds. You would think it's even more important for children.

madlentileater Mon 13-Jul-09 23:29:02

2nd hand deffo best from env. point of view.
if you are determined to buy new, next issue would be FSC wood.
regarding paint/varnish, my guess is this is pretty strctly controlled in UK and anything volatile would be well and truly gone from a 2nd hand cot anyway.

SkaterGrrrrl Mon 03-Aug-09 17:34:27

There's a fairtrade furniture shop in London but not sure if they do baby stuff, might be worth a visit.

www.fairwindonline.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now