Talk

Advanced search

Local v. organic?

(9 Posts)
wastingmyeducation Fri 03-Jul-09 13:00:17

I want to buy 'better' meat and veg, but can't decide between going to the local butcher/farm shop/market stall or getting a Riverford box/Wellhungmeat delivery etc.

What is more important to you - local or organic/free-range?

CMOTdibbler Fri 03-Jul-09 13:05:29

Local. Mostly because the producer gets a much better price when they sell direct, but also because you know where it is produced and by whom. Often they are very chemical light, but getting organic certification is v expensive, so not worth it to them.

I always buy free range eggs and meat - never pork from those that use crated sows.

Am very lucky as we live in an area thick with fruit and veg growing, so can eat seasonal and very local easily

wastingmyeducation Fri 03-Jul-09 13:09:04

How do I know if the local meat is free range or not? It will say won't it?

CMOTdibbler Fri 03-Jul-09 13:19:11

It usually says, but if in doubt, just ask. Farm shop people usually love to talk about their produce

notnowbernard Fri 03-Jul-09 13:24:12

local

heartonsleeve Fri 03-Jul-09 13:26:21

Local.
Organic doesn't mean pesticide free - it just means they have used certain ones which are not so harmful.

notnowbernard Fri 03-Jul-09 13:28:13

Would rather eat an apple that's from an orchard 5 miles up the road than one that's been flown across the globe

wastingmyeducation Fri 03-Jul-09 15:28:59

The Riverford boxes are nearly all local, overseas produce is shipped rather than air-freighted, though 'local' isn't that local as the farm delivers to a large area.

Hmm...

I don't know how 'local' I can go for many things, we're very industrialised and densely populated here.

ChairmumMiaow Mon 24-Aug-09 20:09:17

CMOT - do you get a box delivery or buy from particular places. I know we're not far from you and I'm trying to cut out the supermarket a bit more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now