loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need to agonise out loud about the car decision

(21 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 14:52:39

Message withdrawn

gomez Fri 19-Jun-09 15:00:37

What did you do before you got this car? Why did you get this car? How much of a difference would £45 pw (less any taxi costs) make to things? Or could you use the car more and for other things which would at least financial make it sensible?

I would try and ditch the car TBH and build a relationship with an accessible cab so you can find it easier to get hold of one when needed.

gomez Fri 19-Jun-09 15:01:54

Clearly a relationshio with the driver of the accessible cab or a cab firm would make more sense blush smile

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 15:19:53

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 19-Jun-09 15:25:11

What is the £45 for each week for?

I agree to try to find a wheelchair accessible cabbie who will be able to help out, it will cost less than £90 per fortnight!

It sounds like you already know it is not worth the money as it does not offer you that much more freedom by having it.

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 15:35:40

Message withdrawn

gomez Fri 19-Jun-09 15:41:04

Surely some children at DD's school must have transport provided by cabs? Get those details, get in touch and try and sort something out. Can the school not help in getting in her home on occasions?

There is no need to feel guilty - I am presuming the money is coming from a mobility payment and so you are currently using it for its intended purpose, no?

Could you buy a car with the £2000 deposit (assuming you will get this back) which would free up the majority of the weekly payment - aside from putting some aside for running costs perhaps. You could get a nice old Volvo V70 or 850 for well less than £2K - old but suitable for your needs.

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 16:31:36

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Fri 19-Jun-09 16:39:30

is it possible that meltdowns will become more frequent? is a car going to make life genereally more convenient? i don;t think there is anyhting wrong with wanting to lighten the load a bit

2016 is a loooooooong time off

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 16:45:16

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Fri 19-Jun-09 16:47:51

what i meant was, is it likely that issues such as this will become more frequent .. and maybe more severe, meaning a car will certainly be used more and more useful

expatinscotland Fri 19-Jun-09 16:50:00

i simply can't see what is unethical about a family of 6 with one very disabled child having a car. i'd go for it.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 19-Jun-09 17:06:29

Strikes me you're the last person who should feel guilty about the planet - speaks volumes about you, obviously -but so what if you hardly use the car?

One day it could literally be a lifesaver.

Didn't really follow the financial stuff, but if it's not leaving you in penury and the main issue is guilt - let it go!

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 17:09:10

Message withdrawn

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 19-Jun-09 17:22:11

fgs!

PinkTulips Fri 19-Jun-09 17:24:16

riven, is there equipment on the wheelchair that she has to remain attached to? could she be lifted into a normal car and supported by a car seat?

sorry if i'm being dim but my uncle was severly disabled and that's what my grandparents did.. minus the car seat actually as he was a grown man! the only consideration with taxis or when buying a car was 'is the boot big enough for the wheelchair?'

or is it the wheelchair that's the problem? is it unfoldable? my uncle did get a chair like that in recent years and suddenly we had to resort to waiting for wheelchair accessable cabs.

do other parents at the school have the type of car you need? could you work something out with any of them... exchange something like babysitting for a lift every few weeks, or if they were good friends and live close you could even get yourself insured on their car and borrow their car to collect her when necesssary.

sarah293 Fri 19-Jun-09 17:35:11

Message withdrawn

moshie Fri 19-Jun-09 18:05:36

Just remember how you felt that week you waited two hours in the rain for a low floored bus. I think you need the car for emergencies, but you could also have some day trips to make more use of it.

If it makes life easier, for you and DD, then I don't think you should feel guilty for having a car. I'd consider it a neccessity in your circumstances TBH.

EldonAve Fri 19-Jun-09 18:13:49

Given how little you drive the environmental impact is minimal

lljkk Tue 23-Jun-09 11:45:53

Are you sure you've explored all the taxi options? I reckon you're stuck with the car, tho'.

Takver Tue 23-Jun-09 13:01:54

Could you buy an ex-motability car? They seem to come up regularly for a good price - we got our Partner van that way (minus adaptations for use as a van) and then our friends got one because they need a wheelchair accessible car. Might be cheaper than what you're currently paying if you could manage the cash up front?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now