Talk

Advanced search

cleaning surfaces after preparing chicken

(5 Posts)
pookey Tue 21-Apr-09 16:55:28

Any advice how can I do this in such a fashion as to kill bugs without using too many chemicals? I usually just give the bathroom a quick lick with an e cloth but I am a bit ocd around raw meat grin?

Ripeberry Tue 21-Apr-09 17:02:12

Just use lots of hot water and washing up liquid on the utensils and surfaces. Use a spray bottle filled with half distiled vinegar and half water for discinfecting if you don't want to use anti-bacterial sprays.
Just make sure that you have a cutting block just for raw meat and don't use it for anything else.
I don't like preparing chicken either and i use kitchen towells to dry my hands.

pookey Tue 21-Apr-09 21:02:40

Thanks Ribeberry thats sort of what I had been doing apart from the vinegar bit. I have been going for a dash of savlon which was lurking in my cupboard because I have tried not to buy new dettol spray. Does vinegar have disenfecting powers too? I am new to the miracle of vinegar but it certainly shifts the grime on my shower screen! will it remove 99% of bacteria though? Guess I need to chill out around chicken prep but I keep imagining the advert for food poisoning where the pink blob of germs ends up being spread here there and everywhere!

Arja Wed 22-Apr-09 22:28:19

Tea-tree is antibacterial. Not sure if vinegar would do the job. You could add a few drops to your mix or just use neat where the chicken has been.

tb Fri 28-Aug-09 20:36:50

At Unilever in the labs in the '70s when keeping benches clean for microbiology work we used to squirt them with 10% alcohol and wipe with paper.........

........bit of a waste of vodka really, but it works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now