Talk

Advanced search

Reusable wet wipes and nappies at 2.6YO?

(14 Posts)
mamadiva Sun 25-Jan-09 15:15:48

My DS is 2.6YO and has quite bad eczema, I know it's a bit late but I've just thought on making up my own solution and using reusable wipes.

So was just wondering what do you use as wipes and what solution do you use?

Preferrably something that I could take out and about with me.

Was also thinking of buying some bambino mio nappies just the large pack can anyone advise on these? I'm going to try and get them 2nd hand would it be worth my while? He doesn't seem to be ready for potty training at all at the moment just won't sit n potty or toilet and doesn't bother him when wet etc. So I reckon he will be in them for atleast another 6 months.

mamadiva Sun 25-Jan-09 15:31:05

No one then?

LaTrucha Sun 25-Jan-09 15:51:55

I would buy one or two of a few differnt types and see which seems best, although I haven't used them on a toddler myself.

I know my MIL has used Chamomile tea as a wipe solution.

Not much help. I'm sure someone will be along. Sunday is often a slow day around here!

mamadiva Sun 25-Jan-09 20:10:59

bumping or the evening crew!

tassisssss Sun 25-Jan-09 20:14:29

I use wee reusable wipes that are terry on one side and fleece on the other. I've previously used tesco value facecloths. At the moment I use them with baby lotion, previously warm water.

broguemum Sun 25-Jan-09 20:16:00

I have used chamomile tea as a solution for wipes but now I just use water and sometimes blob a teensy bit of ecover hand wash into the water if DS's bum is really gross. I have bought wipes in the past and the best ones I bought were terry on one side and fleece on the other. I have no idea who made them but I think I got them from bumfluff nappies (she's a v. helpful lady BTW).
HTH.

mamadiva Sun 25-Jan-09 20:17:16

Thanks, would you say there is a difference with the proper reusable wipes and the facecloths?

Other than the matial obviously just want to know if it's worth the money for wipes.

If it is where is the bet place to buy them?

4andnotout Sun 25-Jan-09 20:21:29

Reusable Wipes
You can use fancy mixes or soak wet wipes in cammomile tea,wring out and then put in an airtight box/bag use with 24 hours ish or they smell foisty. I sometimes do a mix of warm water,dash of olive oil,lavender oil, baby bath and then soak wipes,wring out and use. Dont buy fancy expensive wipes, flannels or offcuts of fleece work just as well.
Cloth Nappies
Bambino mio's can usually be found ffp or very cheaply as they dont seem to be very popular. I myself havent tried them.I personally prefer a shaped nappy and wrap or a pocket nappy.
I certainly cant see any problems with putting your ds in cloth at this age.
You might get more responses if you put this in the nappy section

tassisssss Sun 25-Jan-09 20:22:06

TBH, there's not a huge difference IMO. The facecloths I bought were 25p at the time so great value and with a 2 year old sized bottom worked great! Cheaper facecloths are good and thin which seems to work better than the thicker ones. I bought the smaller wipes when I had a baby. YOu get them online pretty easily...think I paid a fiver for 10?

broguemum Sun 25-Jan-09 20:24:37

I must admit I have bought a few packs of face clothes from IKEA blush and they are fine but are bulky in the tupperware pot I use to keep the wipes in so I do prefer my special ones. If you are handy with a sewing machine then it would be easy to make some of the two sided ones yourself but I ain't!

These are my fave wipes here. Not sure I would spend the extra money again though.

chloejessmeg Mon 26-Jan-09 14:07:27

For wipes - go to poundland or 99p store. They have "baby wash cloths" which are so cheap and work really well. Couldn't recomend them more. They are tiny compared to a flannel, but I prefer this as less bulky. For a wee you only need a little wipe anyway and then you can use a few for poo if needed.

TooMuchTV Wed 28-Jan-09 14:13:14

mothercare sell 50 mini muslin squares (about 4in across) for £5.99 as "top & tail" cloths - I am using these with water for nappies that are just wet - am still using disposable wipes for pooey ones... was totting up how much I spend on wipes with two in nappies (even using special offers) and it doesn't take long to recoup the cost.

chloejessmeg Wed 28-Jan-09 15:32:29

That sounds good toomuchTV. Might have to go to mothercare.

littlefrog Wed 28-Jan-09 16:44:49

If he's got sore skin I'd definitely go for fleece rather than flannel - we have both, and when DS has had horrid nappy rash he's hated the feeling of flannel, it's too rough for him. We got green baby washable wipes, which weren't exactly cheap, but he's nearly 2 and we're only on our 3rd pack of disposable wipes (almost entirely used on holidays).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: