Talk

Advanced search

Vinegar in washing

(19 Posts)
MamaBear76 Fri 16-Jan-09 14:14:00

What is the do with putting vinegar in the washing machine, please? Is it to clean the machine, or the laundry? Does it work like soap or fabric softner? Don't your clothes stink?

Thanks for any answers...

bronze Fri 16-Jan-09 14:15:21

I havent noticed a smell. It works as a fabric softener but is also good if you're ina hard water area.

Songbird Fri 16-Jan-09 14:16:34

How much do you put in, and where? And presumably it's not malt vinegar hmm

SpongeBrainedHalfWit Fri 16-Jan-09 14:16:35

It is instead of fabric conditioner.

It is also used to keep the inside of the machine clean (keeps limescale at bay).

I don't use it myself butI think you have to put an extra rinse on to get rid of the smell.

It needs to be white vinegar not malt vinegar !

GrimmaTheNome Fri 16-Jan-09 14:17:01

I've wondered about this - do you put it in the conditioner compartment or what? How much? Presumably should be white distilled not malt or cider grin

Is there anything you find it particularly helpful for?

Songbird Fri 16-Jan-09 14:17:02

Sorry mamabear, hijack [bush]

Songbird Fri 16-Jan-09 14:17:23

haha blush

Songbird Fri 16-Jan-09 14:18:03

ooh, x-post grimma!

dittany Fri 16-Jan-09 14:19:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Songbird Fri 16-Jan-09 14:20:48

But how much do you add, and where does it go? Softener compartment? In with soap?

midnightexpress Fri 16-Jan-09 14:21:38

Does it really work? As a fabric softener, I mean?

jujumaman Fri 16-Jan-09 14:26:51

I use it about once a week in fabric softener drawer - instead of a Calgon tablet. Not sure it softens particularly well, but nor does softener, our machine is crap and the water in our area is soooooper hard.

There is no smell on the clothes at all. Promise!

nannyL Fri 16-Jan-09 18:42:15

i put a glug in the softerner compartment...

i guess the equive of 2 - 6 tbsp depending on how much of a glug i put in!

it softens the clothes, im sure it must be good for the machine and the clothes do NOT smell of vonegar at all...

even if you really sniff there is no trace at all!

i use the white vinegar that costs 50p ish for a botle from tesco / asda etc!

Tangle Sun 18-Jan-09 22:52:12

Does it do anything for static? I hate the smell of most fabric conditioners but if I don't use them we really notice the difference (plus water really hard and everything goes crunchy)...

chloejessmeg Thu 22-Jan-09 00:36:19

I put a bit in the fabric condition bit instead of fabric conditioner. I actually prefer it and it is cheap and helps keep the machine in good nick. Couldn't tell you how much, I just put a little glug in. sometimes when I open the door there is a vinegar smell, but it has always gone once it dries.

No idea about static - sorry

bronze Fri 23-Jan-09 18:43:52

Apparently it does.
My 1001 things to do with vinegar arrived the other day and the things its lists that it does for laundry is amazing

Tangle Fri 23-Jan-09 22:56:54

Hmmm. Might have to try it when DH isn't looking

I've seen suggestions of adding essential oils to the vinegar to get a nice smell - any thoughts on whether that's good or bad and, if good, how many drops per glug?

Brangelina Fri 23-Jan-09 23:03:33

My glug is about an eggcupful and I add a few drops of essential oils depending on their potency - 2/3 if it's strong, 4/5 for the weaker potions.

I've been using vinegar for a couple of years now and I'm a total convert. It leaves your clothes soft without the slimyness of fabric conditioner, so the clothes don't take ages to dry either.

N4NNY Sat 18-Jul-09 21:33:05

I've found clothes dont look so creased when they come out either which makes me very happy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now