Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

i have a few ??? bout loft insulation please

(5 Posts)
babyjjbaby Wed 22-Oct-08 19:05:23

my ma is intitled to a grant to get the loft insulated but when the surveyor came out he said that nothing had to be moved out of attic and they did not have to put it over the boards they would just do the out side of loft when they came to fit they said they would not do it unless everthing was removed from attic and it was over boards so we would lose all the storage up there which we can not lose so can u get a company who will just insulate the outside of attic where there is no boards thanks

CatMandu Wed 22-Oct-08 19:14:25

If her loft is ventilated, which the majority are then insulation at the rafters is pointless. Good loft insulation should be between 250 - 300mm, at joist level, as the joists are 100mm it does mean that you lose the ability to store anything in the loft. There should be substantial difference to the fuel bills, so I guess it depends whats most important to her, fuel costs/environment or storage.

babyjjbaby Wed 22-Oct-08 19:18:36

they said it was not insulated enough i thought f we could just put extra insulation on the bits which are not boarded up it would be better than nothing

CatMandu Wed 22-Oct-08 19:51:55

Well yes, but it would be even better if you insulated the whole space.

babyjjbaby Wed 22-Oct-08 19:58:22

yeh but we can't lose all the boarded out space thast why i wondered if we could just have a bit of it done as i think every little bit helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now