Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Freecycle - a great site but never ceases to amaze me what people WANT ....

(12 Posts)
CaptainUnderpants Sun 19-Oct-08 18:47:14

tonight I saw that someone wanted an American style fridge freezer , not just any old fridge frezzer ! and then someone else wanted not just a sofa but a leather one !

I will say that our moderator has recently posted to say that items wanted like Ninetendo Wii , PLasma Tvs are not in the spirit of the site.

I do wonder about some people and it makes me really made , I would like an American Frdieg Freezer but hey I am waiting for the sales not being a freeloader !

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 19-Oct-08 18:49:46

constant source of amazement here too, and quite often no please or thank yous,
anyone got a fridge freezer, two double beds, television, going spare?

CaptainUnderpants Sun 19-Oct-08 18:55:44

Someone posted the other day for some baby items , I has something that she wanted so emailed saying she could have , never heard from her - guess what gone to someone who fell over backwards with thanks !

MrsJamin Sun 19-Oct-08 19:25:20

I filter the wanteds out as they annoy me so much.

BlueChampagne Mon 20-Oct-08 13:28:03

If you don't ask you don't get. However, pleases and thank yous can be a bit scant. And frustrating when you offer something to someone and then never hear back from them about collection. How long do other people leave it before they post again? I tend to give them a week's grace - do you think that's fair?

whoops Mon 20-Oct-08 13:32:02

someone posted a wanted for an old car yesterday - she said it wasn't a sob story just asking for help!

elkiedee Mon 20-Oct-08 13:38:27

Bluechampagne, a week seems like quite a long time to me if you don't hear back at all.

I just think some of the "wanteds" are really amusing to read. Though some are worrying. One woman asked for an ipod for a child who had been mugged of that and his phone - I don't think I'd want my ds to carry too many valuable small items like that around, or to be walking down the street with ipod headphones on. I try to persuade dp (who's been mugged near home though only cash/debit card taken) not to do that.

heronsfly Mon 20-Oct-08 13:43:29

Ive given up with freecycle, Ive put several things on there,and had loads of replies,I do try to make sure items go to people thet really want them,but have a feeling most of it ends up on e bay.
When I reply to any offers I always seem to be at the bottom of a very long list,and those never ending e mails grin

LemonyAle Mon 20-Oct-08 23:59:24

I love Freecycle, mainly as a de-cluttering tool (safe in the knowledge my old sh*te isn't going to landfill), but agree that the ludicrous WANTED posts can be a bit much (see here and here for classic responses from our local mod to a spate of particularly greedy and vexatious postings smile)

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Tue 21-Oct-08 00:08:48

I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about Freecycle too.

I haven't freecycled much, but every time I do I end up feeling irritated. For example, I offered some children's art and craft materials and promised them to someone who said she ran a 'children's project in [a deprived part of town]'. Great, I thought, the stuff will be used by children who don't get so many opportunities, which was obviously what I was supposed to think. Turned out that the children's project was the after-school club of the local prep school. I've got nothing against private schools but I don't being misled.

But it's still better than sending it to landfill ....

nannyL Tue 21-Oct-08 10:34:42

Someone wants a phil & teds on mine today shock... that is even though in the past 5 days 2 double buggys (a Macalaren and a mothercare in good condition) have been offered shock

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Tue 21-Oct-08 10:46:38

Am about to post

Wanted: Tiffany diamond ring. Must be more than 2 carats. Nothing from Ratners.

wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now