Talk

Advanced search

Why does "natural" shampoo make my hair feel dirty?

(6 Posts)
Lalisa Mon 22-Sep-08 20:00:24

I've been trying to live without sodium laurel sulphate, but every time I try a really natural shampoo it leaves my hair feeling heavy and my scalp greasy so that it feels dirtier than if I'd not washed it at all. Has anyone else had this experience?

I thought it might be soap scum because of our hard water so have been rinsing with cider vinegar. This helps a bit - give a bit of lightness and shine, but my scalp still feels strange. I've got short, normal hair and get on fine with any brand of standard shampoo, but no luck with waleeda, green people or duchy originals.

any ideas?

binkythebullet Mon 22-Sep-08 20:08:24

why are you giving up SLS completely Lalisa?

iwantasecondone Mon 22-Sep-08 20:16:03

You have to give it up to 2 weeks solid for it to work. Your hair is used to chemicals. That said, I gave up because my hair felt "too clean!"

jooseyfruit Mon 22-Sep-08 20:18:02

i've just tried 'Naked' shampoo from Boots. says it's 97% natural hmm. doesn't have sls, parabens or petrochemicals, but does have cinnamon in it and smells like apple pie.
Used it today for 1st time and it is lovely,lovely. smile

charitas Mon 22-Sep-08 20:46:42

lush do soild shampoos for hard and soft water. Their veganese conditioner is v v lovely

terramum Tue 23-Sep-08 12:46:30

It might well be your hard water.....Lots of people have reported similar problems in hard water areas using Dr Bronners on the dreadlock forums. (Dr Bronners pure liquid soap being the shampoo of choice for dread heads). I found my hair didn't feel as clean as I liked when I was in London last week so went back to faith in nature shower gel while I was there. (I don't use a specific shampoo anymore - just a soap/showergel that I use all over)

How long have you been using more natural shampoos? And have you changed how often you are washing at all....it does take a while for your scalp to get used to the change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now