Talk

Advanced search

Curtains and radiators....

(18 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 19-Sep-08 09:12:23

All my radiators are under windows and all my curtains are full length thermal lined, to maximise the heat retention what should I do... keep the curtains open or closed when the heating's on?

DedeGoodDeeds Fri 19-Sep-08 09:13:56

Closed (so the heat can't escape) and tuck your curtains behind the radiators. smile

HeadFairy Fri 19-Sep-08 09:36:09

I can't really get the curtains behind the radiators, the gap behind them is about two fingers width.

cupsoftea Fri 19-Sep-08 09:40:30

I pile the curtains on the window sile so they don't go in front of the radiator - added bnus of stopping draughts as well

HeadFairy Fri 19-Sep-08 10:57:29

do they fit cupsoftea? my sills are only an inch or so wide and the curtains are pretty thick with the thermal lining.

KatyMac Fri 19-Sep-08 10:58:27

Combine short curtains with a foil backed radiator shelf

palaver Fri 19-Sep-08 11:00:13

cut them off - don't have full length curtains over the radiator they will block all the heat

palaver Fri 19-Sep-08 11:00:40

aha Katymac was there before me

KatyMac Fri 19-Sep-08 11:13:02

Or for a bit more money buy/make neutral shutters which can be either hinged or hung each night on hooks

Then you can leave you curtains open

cupsoftea Fri 19-Sep-08 11:17:41

It's fine but the sills are probably wider than a modern house? I do pile them up & the fabric can bludge out iyswim. They are unlined cotton but I have lace curtains as well.

HeadFairy Fri 19-Sep-08 13:54:11

I can't cut them off, the curtains in my living room cost nearly £1000. I think I'm going to have to fork out more for some blinds as well. Then shut the curtains when we got to bed and the heating's off. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend more money but I guess it's hard to avoid.

midnightexpress Fri 19-Sep-08 13:59:49

(and short curtains look horrid)

We have a similar problem in our bedroom, and I close the blinds and then shut the curtains at bedtime, as you suggest. Fortunately there's also another radiator in that room though, so I can turn that one up and close down the one under the window too.

midnightexpress Fri 19-Sep-08 14:00:55

Is it possible to get blinds with some sort of thermal lining I wonder? I guess you could make roman blinds and line them couldn't you?

solo Fri 19-Sep-08 14:02:51

Ikea for value for money blinds. I have wooden ones at some of my windows. Had them for about 9 years now. Great value ime.

HeadFairy Fri 19-Sep-08 18:04:34

do the wooden ones stop the heat loss? I have wooden ones in my bedroom (been doing night shifts for years )

solo Sat 20-Sep-08 01:03:37

My bathroom has no heating in it and it's never really cold...there's a wooden one in there...lounge has one at the patio doors(is never opened due to problem neighbouring estate types)...warm. Kitchen one keeps a lot of the breezes out when the window is on locked open...air in, but no draughts, so I'd say yes. Keeps warmth in/cold out...but that's my experience.

S1ur Sat 20-Sep-08 01:07:02

Have seasonal curtains.

Either different ones for winter/summer
or tack up or velcro up long curtains over winter.

I always tucked when heating on.

Swedes Mon 22-Sep-08 15:46:08

Have interlined roman blinds made and leave the curtains open.

Short curtains are naff. Foil radiator backs are even more naff. Have long, elegant, interlined curtains, put on an extra layer and leave orf the heating.

Alternative, if you must heat have interlined roman blinds and leave the long, curtains open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now