Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The 'stand-by' debate

(3 Posts)
VoluptuaGoodshag Thu 18-Sep-08 20:35:56

Following on from another thread I've always wondered about this switching things on and off completely as I'm sure I have read somewhere that the energy used to get whatever appliance back up to running level is much more than if you just left it on.

I generally do switch everything off but have heard this rumour on several occasions.

Enlighten me someone, please

morocco Thu 18-Sep-08 20:38:12

don't know about that but have discovered fab way of turning off computer by putting it in hibernation smile. it loads up much much quicker than if you 'shut down' but doesn't use up any energy while it's turned off. not quite what you were asking, I know

Lizum Sun 21-Sep-08 15:24:37

No debate. Although some products may have a smallish spike on start up but it is usually outweighed by the energy in turning them off instead of leaving on standby. It's usually fans and motors that have the biggest spike but these are becoming much more efficient nowadays with variable speed drives. Hibernation will still use power - it's similar to standby. You can buy an energy meter which will show you the instantaneous power use so you can see for yourself if there is a spike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now