Talk

Advanced search

Can I have your eco laundry recommendations for....

(8 Posts)
hopefully Thu 11-Sep-08 15:17:30

these different washes?

Colours/darks
Whites, including bed sheets
Nappies

We live in a really hard water area, and budgeting is definitely an issue, but don't mind paying a couple of pennies more if it's going to work well.

I currently use Ecover for colours, and those tubs of Simply biological washing tablet/pod things for whites. Haven't started washing nappies yet, as awaiting imminent arrival, but planning on using Ecover. However, at 2 tabs per wash, the Simply stuff doesn't last all that long, and as Ecover isn't amazing, I'm wondering whether I'd do just as well with soap nuts or something?

Also, what quantities do you use of your detergent if you use, e.g. ecover? And do you put in vinegar or anything?

Any washing tips much appreciated!

The Simply one is the best I've found - and very reasonable, it's just a shame the tubs aren't bigger.

Ecover would often leave things dirty afterwards IME meaning I'd have to do another wash, which kind of negated trying to the right thing. smile

PigeonPie Thu 11-Sep-08 20:51:17

We're in a hard water area and I just use the EcoBalls and a Mag Ball to reduce the limescale.

Clothes done at 40 degrees with timesaver (you don't need all the rinsing as there's nothing to rinse), sheets/towels on the bed and bath setting on my machine, but at 40 and timesaver, and nappies also on the Bed and Bath setting but at 60 with the timesaver (bed and bath 60 is the quickest wash).

I put a cupful of white vinegar in the conditioner section for the nappies and sometimes for the towels to soften them. The 60 setting kills the bugs for the nappies, but I know lots of people do them on 40 and don't have problems.

I am really pleased with the EcoBalls. They don't get baby milk sick out of clothes very well, or grass stains, but I just put a bit of stain remover on those bits before they go in the machine.

hopefully Fri 12-Sep-08 10:10:39

Oh, I was going to ask about the mag ball - do you think it actually improves the quality of the wash, or is it just for the sake of saving the washing machine over the long term?

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep 'em coming!

PigeonPie Fri 12-Sep-08 11:54:10

It saves the washing machine over the long term, and if you use detergent, you don't need to use as much per wash (we also have one in the dishwasher). We've had to clean out the ball because of the deposits so it must be doing something.

Zazette Fri 12-Sep-08 12:10:34

I find one tab is enough with Simply.

WendyWeber Fri 12-Sep-08 12:36:39

Youknownothing, Simply have started selling double-sized refills in boxes - buy 3, get one free. (p&p included & they usually arrive next day, in a really useful big strong box grin)

hopefully, I generally use 2 Simply tabs, because I have a very dirty family; it's much better than own-brand stuff & nearly as good as Ariel!

hopefully Sun 14-Sep-08 16:24:08

Think we'll stick with the Simply tabs for now, and invest in a mag ball - means for DP's freakishly clean 'dirty' clothes I can just use one tab maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now