Talk

Advanced search

beekeepers - how are your bees?

(6 Posts)
noolia Sun 07-Sep-08 18:09:32

Ours are awful, no honey at all this year sad. Just wondered how everyone else's are?

kidsrus Sun 07-Sep-08 18:15:45

HI NOOLIA im sorry i don't keep bees but i have found it very difficult again this year to buy local honey they say there is a problem with the local bees.
My husband also found there was a shortage of fig rolls because the turkish bees were dying off.
i have often wondered if i should take up bee keeping but with 2 young children and full time work i think it might be a bit silly.grin
i will have to wait for re-tirement lol!

Nymphadora Sun 07-Sep-08 18:39:27

My bf had a good spring with one of his hives but then both had to re-queen and now its not dry enough for him to get in and check them.

misi Sun 07-Sep-08 19:02:53

I don't keep bees but I house them!! I have 3 bee houses in my garden for over wintering but have seen precious few this year and even less bumble bees. in fact there have been more dead bumble bees laying on the grass than I have seen actually flying around. is this bee hive syndrome thing here in earnest? the yanks have put $3bn into research and brown has put £2m, wow!! it is estimated that £150m worrht of crops each year could disappear along with the bees shock

reddirtreporter.blogspot.com/2007/04/investigator-finds-colony-collapse.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_Disorder

www.orsba.org/htdocs/download/Dtew.htm

Nymphadora Wed 10-Sep-08 09:40:27

Bf checked his yesterday and still no sign of queens

crazycanuck Sun 21-Sep-08 08:57:58

I heard that they reckon there will be no British honey left by Christmas this year as it has been so dismal sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now