Talk

Advanced search

dh saw a report today about how in america they are mining the landfill sites to recover plastic bottles

(11 Posts)
misdee Sun 07-Sep-08 14:57:47

i know oil is in short supply, but surely by mining the landfill sites, people arent going to recycle their plastic as it will be recovered by the people mining for it.

council herte doesnt do kerbside plastic recycling but i am lucky that the recycling centre down the road does recycling plastic

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 14:59:23

wonder if they are digging up disposable nappies, too?

our council doesn't do plastic recycling kerbside, either.

we have to take it to a recycling centre.

misdee Sun 07-Sep-08 15:03:24

lol expat. that was the direction dh and myu conversation took. he thinks the price of dis nappies will increase soon.

lulumama Sun 07-Sep-08 15:03:34

we also have to take plastic to the tip. i thikn that the people who are eco aware, at least a little bit, will carry on recycling and people who aren;t, won;t change . still amazes me that not every house on our road put out their council collected bin for paper , tins and glass every week.

grouchyoscar Sun 07-Sep-08 15:04:33

I can only think of loads of used cat litter and poop scoop bags

<<Vomit emoticon..

expatinscotland Sun 07-Sep-08 15:05:38

we get cardboard and paper picked up here.

everything else has to be taken to the recycling centre.

misdee Sun 07-Sep-08 15:06:05

the tip doesnt do plastic. but tesco does.

have to take cardboard to the tip though. tesco stopped taking it after arson attacks angry

SoupDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 15:07:16

PMSL! Mining for plastic bottles! Whatever next

Our kerbside recycling takes plastic bottles. Any plastic bottle but not anything that isn't bottle shaped hmm

misdee Sun 07-Sep-08 15:14:38

sounds mad doesnt it

but until recently there was nowhere locally we could recycle plastic.

notcitrus Sun 07-Sep-08 15:27:21

Why would mining landfills for plastic stop people recycling any more than the current mining the seabed to get oil to make plastic?

Do you know if the plastic recovered from landfill is actually recycled, or simply used to burn for energy (which people are trying to do in the UK but NIMBYs keep battling against energy-from-waste plants)?

misdee Sun 07-Sep-08 15:36:34

i just think some people, not all, will just chuck it in the bin and think it doesnt matter as it will get recovered at the other end iyswim.

i really wish that there was a wider range of recycling facilities in one place to stop me having to go to 2 or 3 places to recycle.

or large kerbside collections. more boxes, bins etc to sort things into recyclables and general waste.

i want plastic, card and food waste to be collected here. mind you, my lot dont leave much food waste lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now