Talk

Advanced search

Can you insulate a lean-to conservatory roof?

(36 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 12:12:43

Either externally or internally?

I am open to unusual ideas

I don't need the extra light the roof lets in
I have fabric banners/blinds

I would like to replace with a solid roof but can't afford to so I am scrabbling round to find a cheaper alternative

moshie Sat 06-Sep-08 17:33:07

could you tape up some bubble wrap, you can buy big rolls of it in staples.

KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 17:35:48

I worry about the adhesive (either on tape or actual glue) denaturing in the excessive heat

Bubble wrap is a good idea tho'

I have considered

Painting it with emulsion
Sticking up Wallpaper/foil/polystyrene tiles
Putting reed fencing on the top or thick polystyrene insulation

I think it's the attaching that worries me

moshie Sat 06-Sep-08 17:44:17

Also found this but no idea of price

KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 18:03:47

Look expensive good but I have the wrong type of roof - my channels are wider

rowrowrowyourboat Wed 01-Oct-08 16:50:23

We have sheets of bubble-wrap from the garden centre in our conservatory roof, it's meant for greenhouses so has two flat sides. We put it up with velcro so that we can take it down when we don't need it.

KatyMac Wed 01-Oct-08 16:51:33

Interesting - I will have a look

KatyMac Thu 02-Oct-08 08:35:17

Is the velcro on the rook or ths superstructure of the conservatory

rowrowrowyourboat Fri 03-Oct-08 11:05:17

We just stuck it to the roof so the sheets are between the beams, we did it that way because we have light-nets up hung from the beams for evenings grin

KatyMac Sun 05-Oct-08 13:04:55

Thanks

Lizzyshaw Sun 13-Mar-11 00:52:30

We was looking to try and insulate our conservatory roof aswell and yes there is a way to insulate it either by having low e glass installed or have low e solar window film put on the roof. The low e coating reduces the heat loss through the roof in the winter and it reduces the heat that enters the conservatory in the summer. We had the window film applied to our roof and it wasn't too expensive.

conculainey Tue 15-Mar-11 00:00:42

The cheapest and easiest way to insulate a conservatory roof is to buy a few rolls of the very cheap and very effective laminate floor underlay that has the silver reflective foil attached, attach it to the carbonite roof sheets either with a good contact adhesive or better still double sided tape keeping the silver foil side downwards as ths will reflect the heat, this material has the added advantage in that it reduces rain noise on the roof. Try places like B&Q or homebase for the best prices.

Diyqueene Sun 08-May-11 22:02:59

Can the film be fitted to polycarbonate roof?

Diyqueene Sun 08-May-11 22:05:36

I am thinking of insulating my conservatory roof with the flooring underlay, but I am worried that the heat will cause them to un-stick and fall off. Does anyone have any experience with this?

DoesBuggerAll Sun 08-May-11 22:31:46

I used 50mm Celotex board on my Wickes lean to conservatory roof. Cut the Celotex boards to size and push them between the roof beams. Then nail battens to the roof beams so as to support the Celotex boards. I then stapled some thermo-whats-you-call-it silver foil quilted type insulation over the whole roof and then covered it all up with pine cladding. Works a treat, warm as toast in winter there now, and much cooler in summer too. I also plumbed in a fan-assisted radiator too (Smiths Ecovector® LL 1200) which pumps out huge amounts of heat. Turned the conservatory into a year round dining room. Well worth doing.

CharlotteCory Wed 14-May-14 15:18:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BeverlyLatham Sun 22-Jun-14 22:21:35

Nicola2014 Tue 02-Sep-14 12:47:37

I found a new company called Crystal Glaze that insulates without films, false ceilings or blinds. We had ours done and it was a lot cheaper and easier than most other alternatives.

crystalglazetechnology.co.uk/

Hope this helps smile

kgreenpea Sun 09-Nov-14 23:38:14

Nicola2014, I'm just wondering if you're still pleased with the outcome of Crystal Glaze, now the weather's getting a bit cooler? I'm thinking about getting the same done but admittedly slightly sceptical, it almost sounds too good to be true. Did you have it applied to a polycarbonate conservatory roof, and windows? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you? Thanks in advance!

LynnSheridan Mon 17-Nov-14 20:15:31

Hi Nicola try looking into other companies first. I had my conservatory insulated with a system from Cosy Conservatory a few years back. I think their still around. It wasn't expensive, looks great and it's worked great ever since. Hope that helps.

RundleDorey Tue 24-Feb-15 14:01:50

Jengca122 Mon 18-May-15 22:31:57

stepa1007 Fri 03-Jul-15 16:32:23

Hi Nicola,

How is your crystalglaze holding up since you have a had a winter and exceptionally hot summer to judge it?

Regards,
Stephen

rohitthakur1988 Fri 04-Mar-16 08:48:50

I don't have any idea of insulate conservatory roof. But you can contact gallina.in they serve you better to your conservatory roof.

chriswebdog Thu 07-Apr-16 02:42:22

Yes- I do a site for a guy who does it in nationwide, im not going to be a spammer and link - look for comfyconservatories on google - Stuart Green - conservatory roof insulators. Top bloke - does a good job. Based in Leeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now