Talk

Advanced search

longer washing cycle or higher temperature?

(6 Posts)
midnightexpress Fri 05-Sep-08 08:59:57

Apologies if this has been done before - haven't got time for a search this morning as I'm supposed to be working blush.

My washing machine has a button to reduce the temperature on any wash cycle, but it's broken. So, my question is, is it better to do a 30 degree wash that lasts 1h45 or a 40 degree wash that lasts 1h20? My head is telling me that the 40 degree wash must be more efficient (and cheaper...) but I wonder if I'm right?

misi Fri 05-Sep-08 11:55:19

from what I understand, the cooler the temp the longer the cycle, but the longer cycle doesn't use as much electricity as the heating of the water is what takes the vast majority of the power usage

Madlentileater Fri 05-Sep-08 13:14:48

that's right- Leo Hicks did this in the grauniad (ethical dilemmas) a while back.

Zazette Fri 05-Sep-08 13:25:47

Cooler temperature lower time is definitely more eco-friendly. Hence the 'wash at 30' campaigns lots of laundry product manufacturers and retailers have been running for the last couple of years.

Zazette Fri 05-Sep-08 13:26:23

sorry, that should have been 'LONGER time', doh

midnightexpress Fri 05-Sep-08 13:29:56

Thanks fo the replies. Zazette, that's what made me wonder - I'd always tried to turn it down to 30 from an existing 40 degree program though, where it would figure that the 30 degree wash would be better. Just wondered with a substantially longer cycle how it worked out. I will now proceed accordingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now