Talk

Advanced search

Child cyclists: what's the best rainwear for them, capes or over trousers?

(4 Posts)
zimzam Wed 03-Sep-08 09:57:09

Am just about geared up to start biking my dd to school (on a follow-me tandem) with my ds in a seat. Need to kit them out with the much needed waterproofs though. Any advice on what would suit a 4.5 yr old on a bike and 2.5yr old in seat without making them (and me) too uncomfortable?

BlueChampagne Wed 03-Sep-08 12:57:13

I cycle with 1yo on bike seat and have been using a poncho, but will probably swap over to all-in-one as I don't like ponchos in the wind (for any age) because they act like sails. Plus a regular waterproof jacket+trousers combo can be used for walks and playing in the park too, so better value for money too IMO.

How long is your journey? If it's more than a couple of miles, the ones cycling are likely to get quite hot and wet from the inside out, IYSWIM, even with gortex, unless it's cold as well. Definitely advise a fluorescent/reflective tabard whatever the weather.

How easily will you be able to carry the waterproofs if they're not required? Can they be stored at school, dry or wet?

Good luck Zimzam - enjoy it!

zimzam Wed 03-Sep-08 17:26:13

thanks BlueChampagne, I was beginning to think the same re. the ponchos.

DD will only need to cycle for 10 mins max and she needn't peddle as she's towed by me so she shouldn't get too hot. Once I've dropped her at school I'll cycle with my ds to nursery. I'll be the one getting hot, VERY hot judging by the trial run I did with dd this afternoon, it was a tad hard going uphill! And I didn't have ds on the seat either!

I plan to take dd's wet stuff with me as I work from home and so can dry them in time for pick up.

BlueChampagne Fri 05-Sep-08 13:26:17

Looks like DS and I are going to get wet on our way home this afternoon, but haven't got a waterproof as I know I'll get hot anyway. Let me know how it goes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now