Talk

Advanced search

Storing fresh bread

(11 Posts)
AMumInScotland Sat 23-Aug-08 16:09:53

I usually keep fresh bread from the supermarket wrapped up well in a carrier bag to stop it getting dry.

But, I am now trying to use re-usable fabric bags for the shopping run, so I don't get the thin carrier bags any more.

What should I do instead, which would keep it nice but be more green?

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 16:12:25

Umm not very green but a tupperware box works for my homemade bread (as long as it is cold when I put it in)

AMumInScotland Sat 23-Aug-08 16:16:29

Well, I'd say reusable plastic is a lot better than use-once-and-throw-out plastic at least! But I buy different sorts of loaf, depending which ones they've over-cooked that day, so I'd probably need several boxes sad

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 16:18:15

Just one big one?

I put teacakes/rolls in mine as well

AMumInScotland Sat 23-Aug-08 16:21:09

Is it fine with lots of air round the bread? I always tuck a bag tightly round it to keep the air out, but if a big airtight box has the same effect, that would certainly be an idea.

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 16:22:29

Seems OK - bread can last maybe 2 days?

Mind you it is homemade so tastes lovely & it rarely lasts long

I can't remember how long bought bread lasts as I have been making my own for about 4 yrs

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 23-Aug-08 17:12:55

I wrap mine in a tea towel and put it in the bread bin. Seems fine. When I get it from the bakers they wrap it in paper first.

AMumInScotland Sat 23-Aug-08 18:27:33

I'd love to be able to make it at home or buy it more often from a baker, but I find shopping twice a week at the supermarket is the only way we can fit it in with the rest of life... I'll have a go at either a box or a teatowel and see how it lasts...

KatyMac Sat 23-Aug-08 18:33:51

I make it in about 2 minutes each morning
It just goes into the breadmaker & 3.5 hrs later voila

notcitrus Sun 24-Aug-08 00:58:51

Keep re-using a carrier bag you already have?

I keep half or more of my ready-sliced loaf in the freezer - I usually eat bread toasted which is fine from frozen, and otherwise it always goes off.

MrsJamin Sat 30-Aug-08 21:06:20

I bought a bread bag from lakeland - lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now