Talk

Advanced search

Ground source heat pump

(6 Posts)
Mung Wed 20-Aug-08 20:28:25

Has anyone got one?

We are seriously considering it and need to know a few things...

How do they put it in and how long does it take?
Can it really heat the whole house?
Does it work?
How much does it really cost when you consider replanting the lawn etc?
Is it worth the money?

TIA

uberalice Wed 20-Aug-08 20:34:22

We looked into it last year. It was never going to pay for itself. I don't know the details, but could ask DH later on if you want more info.

Instead we decided to go for solar water heating, which we're in the process of installing. We're really hopeful that it will make a substantial difference.

Mung Wed 20-Aug-08 20:36:57

Thats interesting uberalice...DH thinks (not entirely sure where he gets the info from) the solar water heating is less cost efficient. You have obviosuly done the sums and decided that its a better option. Do you have a south facing roof though?

uberalice Thu 21-Aug-08 12:02:46

Not quite south facing, but our upstairs gets very warm during the summer, so the roof is clearly getting a lot of sun. I'll get you some more information later on (sorry, I promised that last night and then went away).

WilfSell Thu 21-Aug-08 12:05:05

I would love this too (ground source heating) but also think it's probably too expensive at the mo.

Will be watching to see if prices come down over next couple of years though...

I believe some houses in London have had similar done but instead of laying cables horizontally, they drill downwards... means you can do it on a much smaller plot.

Mung Sat 23-Aug-08 08:39:46

Apparently there is a government grant now. Was there one when you were looking into it uberalice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now